The affordable education loan option
Johannesburg - A total of 41 tenderpreneurs, senior government officials and politicians – including Economic Freedom Fighters leader Julius Malema – criminally charged after the government’s intervention in Limpopo face lengthy bans from doing business with the state.
The 41, who have been charged and/or arrested since the intervention in December 2011, also include Malema’s cousin Tshepo, former Health and Social Development MEC Miriam Segabutla, former Roads Agency Limpopo boss Mashanoke Mogotlane, former health department chief financial officer Friday Mushwana and businessmen Pieter Erasmus and William Lucas.
In a report, Hawks head Lieutenant-General Anwar Dramat said the national Treasury would seek orders of endorsement in terms of Section 29 of the Prevention and Combating of Corrupt Activities Act to register the affected entities and parties on the Register of Tender Defaulters who were banned from doing business with the state.
Malema’s business partner and co-accused in his fraud and corruption trial, Lesiba Gwangwa, is already on the register.
In February, Gwangwa and his company, On-Point Engineering, were barred from doing business with the government and its entities for five years.
The national Treasury cites the reason for Gwangwa and On-Point Engineering’s listing as alleged fraud in competing for a multimillion-rand tender.
Gwangwa was listed after Public Protector Thuli Madonsela ordered national Treasury director-general Lungisa Fuzile to bar him and On- Point Engineering from doing business with the government. Malema, Gwangwa, Kagisho Dichabe, Helen Moreroa and Makgetsi Manthatha are accused of fraudulently securing a R52 million Limpopo roads and transport department tender to manage its project management unit in October 2009.
Guilder Investments 59, a 33 percent shareholder in On-Point Engineering, was owned by Malema’s Ratanang Family Trust and the Gwangwa Family Trust.
Their trial is set down for November 18 to 29 at Polokwane Magistrate’s Court.
Malema is out on R10 000 bail while his co-accused were each released on R40 000 bail.
Dramat also revealed that the Treasury had reports on 27 forensic investigations conducted by SizweNtsalubaGobodo and PricewaterhouseCoopers. The reports had been referred to the police for criminal investigations and 39 cases had been opened.
Of the 39, 13 had been closed because prosecutors were unwilling to pursue them, another 13 were still under investigation and 13 were in court, he said.
The Treasury’s forensic reports include two on Edu-Solutions’ contracts to supply the Limpopo Education Department with toys for Grade R pupils and assist with its learner attainment strategy.
Other reports relate to theft of laptops in the education department, security contracts and tenders to fix potholes.
Spokesman Jabulani Sikhakhane said the list was not generated by the national Treasury as part of a criminal matter, but that the the names of banned entities and individuals had been sent by the relevant departments to the Treasury.
Public Service and Administration Deputy Minister Ayanda Dlodlo is also blacklisted for VIP Consulting Engineers’ bungling of a R5.2m contract to build toilets in Etwatwa, Ekurhuleni.
She is a former VIP director.
Western Cape ANC provincial secretary Songezo Mjongile, his ex-wife Linda and their company, Lidamed, are blacklisted until next October for breach of contract relating to a deal with the province’s health department.
By close of business on Friday, the Register of Tender Defaulters contained 890 names.