The Constitutional Court will hear arguments in the e-toll case on August 15, chairman of the Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance (Outa) Wayne Duvenage said on Wednesday.
“The Constitutional Court has indicated that they will sit on August 15 to hear the leave to appeal,” Duvenage said.
On April 28, the High Court in Pretoria handed down an order preventing the SA National Roads Agency Ltd (Sanral) from levying or collecting e-tolls pending the outcome of a judicial review.
Last month, Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan applied to the Constitutional Court to set aside this court order. Gordhan argued that Judge Bill Prinsloo had ignored the principle of separation of powers.
He said the decision to halt e-tolling would negatively affect the economy. In its reply, Outa said the Sanral was still not ready to launch the project.
Under the e-toll project, motorists will pay over 35 cents a kilometre to travel on some of Gauteng's freeways.
The project was to have been launched on April 30, but was postponed for a month after a meeting between the ANC and its alliance partner, the Congress of SA Trade Unions.
On August 15, the Constitutional Court will hear arguments about why it should grant leave to appeal the High Court judgment. - Sapa