Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Johannesburg - A “drive-slow” protest against e-tolling in Johannesburg was running smoothly so far, the city's metro police said.
No incidents were reported, said Superintendent Wayne Minnaar.
However, traffic was “congested” on the M1 north and the N3.
Two lanes on the N3 were combined for the protest motorcade, so that other cars could pass on the remaining two lanes.
The two simultaneous protests began after 9am in Braamfontein and Katlehong, on the East Rand, on Thursday.
Pedestrians waved and fellow motorists hooted in solidarity, while police were positioned in front and on the sides of the motorcades.
Motorists in Johannesburg were travelling at 20km/h, while their colleagues in Katlehong were going around 10km/h. A police helicopter was monitoring from above.
Congress of SA Trade Unions provincial secretary Dumisani Dakile said there was no need to go fast.
“There's no rush comrades, we have all the time at our disposal.
“We don't need a thousand cars comrades, with the amount of cars we have here we can realise our objectives.”
A number of unions joined Cosatu's protest, including the Communication Workers' Union, the Democratic Nursing Organisation of SA, the Police and Prisons Civil Rights Union, the National Education, Health and Allied Workers' Union, and the SA Transport and Allied Workers Union.
Protesters want the e-toll system dropped. Last week, Cosatu threatened to occupy Gauteng streets, and block freeways during the protest.
The Opposition to Urban Tolling Alliance has brought a court application to have the e-toll project scrapped, but a ruling has yet to be made. - Sapa