FFPlus unhappy at Alli retentionComment on this story
Keeping on Sanral CEO Nazir Alli shows that the government wants to “cross swords” with the public rather than find a solution, the Freedom Front Plus said on Thursday.
“Government ignores the inputs of the consumer public, purposefully enters into conflict with the public and wastes taxpayers' money...,” FFPlus parliamentary spokesman Anton Alberts said in a statement.
“It is a fight which the government will lose; both on legal grounds as well as on a moral basis.”
He said the government had forgotten that the public had appointed it to serve their interests.
Earlier, Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe announced that Alli, who resigned last month, would “stay put”. He said the resignation had been withdrawn.
“We received a letter of resignation... (but) indeed the problem did not revolve around him.... So there was an understanding he stays put,” he said in Cape Town.
On April 28, the High Court in Pretoria handed down an order preventing the SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) from levying or collecting e-tolls pending the outcome of a judicial review.
Last week, Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan approached the Constitutional Court in an attempt to set aside the court order halting e-tolling. - Sapa