Lack of Marikana evidence, inquiry told

Comment on this story
IOL pic jan21 marikana commission farlam Sapa Some of the miners injured and arrested during the Marikana unrest claimed they were trapped on a hill by the police, the Farlam Commission of Inquiry heard. File photo: Sapa

North West - There has been a disturbing absence of evidence on the Marikana shootings, the Farlam Commission of Inquiry heard in Rustenburg on Monday.

Advocate Dumisa Ntsebeza, for the families of the 34 slain striking miners, said he had been unable to obtain footage from the police on the shootings.

He told public order policing expert Brigadier Zephania Mkhwanazi that the footage was either being suppressed or had been destroyed.

“It may well be that the evidence existed, but was destroyed or deleted. I'm not saying by you.”

Mkhwanazi said he understood the questioning and would be forthcoming with information.

“What I know I will definitely disclose.”

The inquiry, into the deaths of 44 people during an unprotected strike at Lonmin's Marikana mine in August, resumed at the Rustenburg Civic Centre on Monday. It is chaired by retired judge Ian Farlam. The other commissioners are senior advocates Bantubonke Tokota and Pingla Hemraj.

Thirty-four striking miners were shot dead on August 16, 2012 and 78 wounded when the police opened fire on them while trying to disperse a group gathered on a hill near Lonmin's platinum mine.

In the preceding week, 10 people, including two police officers and two security guards, were hacked to death near the mine.

President Jacob Zuma announced the commission in August. - Sapa


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.