Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Former president Nelson Mandela is at home and is fine, the presidency said on Monday.
“We have no other update on him except for what we said yesterday (Sunday),” spokesman Harold Maloka said.
Asked whether Madiba was receiving visitors at home or if he was up and talking, Maloka said: “We are not giving that kind of updates.”
Mandela was discharged on Sunday after spending a night in hospital.
President Jacob Zuma said he was making good progress and had a good night's rest.
“The doctors have assured us that there is nothing to worry about and that Madiba is in good health,” he said.
“He is surrounded by his family and is relaxed and comfortable. The doctors are happy with the progress he is making.”
He said the 93-year-old Nobel Peace prize winner had undergone a diagnostic procedure on Saturday to determine the cause of his long-standing abdominal complaint.
By mid-morning on Saturday, the news had broken that Mandela had been admitted to an undisclosed hospital with a stomach ailment.
This resulted in reporters and photographers rushing from hospital to hospital in Tshwane and Joburg trying to locate him.
In Tshwane, Beeld photographer Theana Breugem, who took pictures of the One Military hospital building, was made to delete the pictures after being briefly detained.
In Joburg, journalists were told to vacate the premises of Milpark hospital – where Mandela was treated for a respiratory infection last year.
The National Press Club (NPC) said it would meet with Defence Minister Lindiwe Sisulu on Monday to discuss the treatment of journalists outside One Military hospital.
Sisulu said there was “nothing wrong” with Madiba and that he had been admitted to undergo a laparoscopy.
A laparoscopy is also known as minimally invasive surgery or keyhole surgery.
“The reason why we took him to hospital is because he did have a discomfort, an ongoing discomfort,” she reporters at Parliament on Sunday. – Sapa