Advertisement
logoSections

Pistorius loses another sponsor

Johannesburg - Paralympian Oscar Pistorius was dropped in an advertising campaign for the French cosmetics company Clarins, the company's South African branch confirmed on Wednesday.

“Out of respect and compassion for the families implicated in this tragedy, Thierry Mugler Perfumes has taken the decision to withdraw all its campaigns with Oscar Pistorius,” the group said.

Star South African sprinter Oscar Pistorius will go on trial in March next year on murder charges for shooting his girlfriend, his lawyer said. File photo: Sizwe Ndingane. Credit: Independent Newspapers

Clarins South Africa spokesperson Jody Hyam confirmed this.

Pistorius had been the ambassador of Mugler Amen Fragrance since 2011.

The athlete has been under arrest since his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp was shot dead in his Pretoria home in the early hours of Thursday last week.

He has been charged with murder, and his bail application is under way in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court.

Pistorius's manager Peet van Zyl said the Paralympian had no more local sponsorships.

“There is no local sponsor left for Pistorius... Besides the M-Net deal, he was mainly sponsored by international companies,” he said.

Sports giant Nike, sunglasses company Oakley and two United States companies have cut their ties with Pistorius since he was charged with Steenkamp's death.

M-Net Movies, a subscription-funded South African television channel, said it had pulled its “Every night is Oscar night” campaign “out of respect and sympathy to the bereaved”.

Pistorius earned millions of dollars in endorsements as a champion athlete. Billboards featuring his image were taken down soon after the news broke of the shooting at his home. - Sapa

SHOW ALL
Advertisement