Public rejects e-tolls - Cosatu

Comment on this story
IOL mot oct26 gantry Independent Newspapers File photo by Boxer Ngwenya

 

Johannesburg - The public has indicated its unambiguous rejection of the government's e-tolling system, the Congress of SA Trade Unions (Cosatu) said on Friday.

“The last public hearing held on Thursday in Sunninghill delivered a clear and unambiguous rejection of e-tolls by government,” Cosatu said in a statement.

The Sunninghill meeting was the last and final e-toll public information session.

Last month, the government and the SA National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral) announced new tariffs for e-tolling on Gauteng's freeways.

The announcement, which was made on October 26, marked the beginning of a 30-day public consultation process, after which Transport Minister Ben Martins would have a fortnight to “apply his mind”, followed by another fortnight to gazette the final tariffs.

Cosatu has called for a strike action against e-tolls on November 30.

“This week's public sessions were also not clear regarding the enforcement procedures for those who do not pay the proposed tariffs,” it said. - Sapa



sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

  5. Verified email addresses: All users on Independent Media news sites are now required to have a verified email address before being allowed to comment on articles. You are only required to verify your email address once to have full access to commenting on articles. For more information please read our comment guidelines