Zuma extends Marikana inquiryComment on this story
Pretoria - President Jacob Zuma on Monday again extended the Farlam Commission of Inquiry's probe into the August 2012 Marikana shootings in the North West, the presidency said.
After several extensions, the commission, which began sitting in October 2012, had been scheduled to end on July 31. The new deadline was September 30.
“After engagement between the president, the chairperson of the commission and the minister of justice and correctional services, it became evident that the commission would not be able to complete its investigation by 31 July 2014, hence the extension of the term of the commission,” the presidency said in a statement.
The commission is investigating the deaths of 44 people during strike-related violence at Lonmin's platinum mining operations at Marikana.
Thirty-four people, mostly striking mineworkers, were shot dead in a clash with police, over 70 were wounded, and another 250 arrested on August 16, 2012. Police were apparently trying to disarm and disperse them.
In the preceding week, 10 people, including two policemen and two security guards, were killed.
The commission, sitting in Centurion, is chaired by retired judge Ian Farlam.