London - Stuart Hall has questioned the police ‘pursuit of celebrities’ after being charged with sex offences dating back four decades.
The broadcaster, 83, was accused of raping a young woman and 14 counts of indecent assault on children as young as nine when he attended a police station by appointment on Monday.
He appeared in court earlier this month to face accusations of three other attacks on young girls.
But the Radio 5 Live commentator believes the pursuit of celebrities by the police has led to a string of allegations being made against him. Speaking outside Hall’s home, his solicitor Louise Straw said: ‘The clear pursuit of celebrities – an 83-year-old in this instance – raises concerns about fairness and equal treatment.’
She added: ‘A number of historic allegations have been made. These are all denied.
‘None of the complainants thought fit to report any of these matters to the authorities over the last three to four decades.
‘This raises a number of serious issues. It would be inappropriate to make further comment pending trial.’ The arrest of the former It’s A Knockout presenter, who lives with his wife of 44 years, Hazel, in Wilmslow, Cheshire, came as the BBC continues to deal with the fallout from the Jimmy Savile sex abuse scandal.
Police said it did not form part of Operation Yewtree, the investigation into alleged sex offences by late Top of the Pops presenter Savile and others.
Gary Glitter, 68, comedian Freddie Starr, 69, DJ Dave Lee Travis, 67, and former BBC producer Wilfred De’Ath, 73, have been arrested and bailed as part of that probe.
Other celebrity arrests include comedian Jim Davidson, 59 and PR guru Max Clifford, 69. All deny any wrongdoing. - Daily Mail