R200 discount for liking us on FB
Rebekah Brooks had her phone hacked twice a week on behalf of the News of the World while she was editor of its sister paper The Sun, the Leveson Inquiry heard yesterday.
Detectives told her in 2006 that her voicemails had been illegally intercepted by a journalist and private detective working for the Sunday tabloid, and asked her if she wished “to take it further”.
She declined to join the prosecution against the paper’s royal editor Clive Goodman and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire. Robert Jay QC, counsel to the press standards inquiry, said Mrs Brooks “was one of the most accessed since 2005, twice a week”.
The 43-year-old, herself a former editor of the NoW, passed on information she had gleaned from the police to the tabloid’s lawyers.
She was later appointed chief executive of parent company News International in 2009. - Daily Mail