Brown ‘shot at least six times’

Comment on this story
iol pic wldR_USA-MISSOURI-SHOOTING-_0818_11 Reuters Brown family attorney Daryl Parks points on an autopsy sketch to the head wound that was likely fatal to Michael Brown, during a news conference in Ferguson. Misouri. Picture: Mark Kauzlarich

Ferguson, Missouri -

An unarmed 18-year-old black man suffered a bullet wound to his right arm that may have occurred when he put his hands up or when his back was turned to the shooter, according to a pathologist hired by the teen's family.

But the pathologist said the independent team that examined Michael Brown can't be sure yet exactly how the wounds were inflicted, citing the need for more information.

The autopsy determined that he was shot at least six times, including twice in the head, according to the pathologists and the family's attorneys. Another autopsy conducted by St Louis County also found Brown was shot six to eight times, and that he was hit in the head and chest.

Brown's death heightened racial tensions between the predominantly black community and the mostly white Ferguson Police Department. Civil rights activists have compared the shooting to other racially charged cases, especially the 2012 death of Trayvon Martin, the unarmed black teenager shot by a Florida neighbourhood watch organiser who was later acquitted of murder. Both cases have fuelled nationwide debates on the treatment of young black men in America.

After nightfall, police and protesters were again in a tense standoff on Monday as crowds filled the streets. Officers used bullhorns to order people out of the street and deployed noisemakers and armoured vehicles to push demonstrators back. There were no immediate reports of violence.

iol picwld EPA -michael-brown-wounds-missouri Shawn Parcells, forensic assistant and medical investigator, explains the trajectory of one of the bullets that struck Michael Brown, during a press conference at the Greater St Marks Family Church in Ferguson. Picture: Roberto Rodriguez EPA

In Washington, President Obama said in a news conference that Attorney General Eric Holder would arrive on Wednesday in Ferguson to meet with FBI and other officials carrying out an independent federal investigation into Brown's death.

The August 9 shooting touched off rancorous protests in the St Louis suburb where police have used riot gear and teargas. Governor Jay Nixon ordered the National Guard to Ferguson to restore order on Monday, while lifting a midnight-to-5am curfew that had been in place for two days.

Obama said he told Nixon he wanted to ensure the use of National Guard reservists to help calm tensions must be limited in scope, and said he would be monitoring that operation in the coming days to see whether the guard's involvement was helping or hurting.

Guard units with armoured vehicles were waiting at a staging area about 800m from the portion of West Florissant Avenue that has been the scene of the largest protests.

Police have said little about the encounter between Brown and the white officer, except to say that it involved a scuffle in which the officer was injured and Brown was shot. Witnesses say the teenager had his hands in the air as the officer fired multiple rounds.

Forensic pathologist Shawn Parcells, who assisted former New York City chief medical examiner Dr Michael Baden during the independent autopsy, said a graze wound on Brown's right arm could have occurred in several ways. The teen may have had his back to the shooter, or he could have been facing the shooter with his hands above his head or in a defensive position in front of his face.

“But we don't know,” Parcells said.

Baden said one of the bullets entered the top of Brown's skull, suggesting his head was bent forward when he suffered the fatal injury. The pathologists said Brown, who also was shot four times in the right arm, could have survived the other bullet wounds.

Suzanne McCune, the administrator of the St Louis County medical examiner's office, said the county's autopsy found Brown was hit in the head and chest but she would not confirm whether he was hit elsewhere on his body. Full findings of the county's autopsy aren't expected for about two weeks.

Family attorney Benjamin Crump said the family wanted the additional autopsy because they feared results of the county's examination could be biased. Crump declined to release copies of the report to the media.

Baden said there was no gunpowder residue on Brown's body, indicating he was not shot at close range. However, Baden said he did not have access to Brown's clothing, and that it was possible the residue could be on the clothing.

A grand jury could begin hearing evidence Wednesday to determine whether the officer, Darren Wilson, should be charged in Brown's death.

The US Justice Department already had deepened its civil rights investigation into the shooting. A day earlier, officials said 40 FBI agents were going door-to-door gathering information in the neighbourhood where Brown was shot.

Holder has ordered a federal medical examiner to perform another autopsy. - Sapa-AP

sign up

Comment Guidelines

  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

  5. Verified email addresses: All users on Independent Media news sites are now required to have a verified email address before being allowed to comment on articles. You are only required to verify your email address once to have full access to commenting on articles. For more information please read our comment guidelines