Concordia to be salvaged in 1 piece

Comment on this story


IOL pic mar23 italy concordia bodies

Associated Press

(File image) The luxury cruise ship Costa Concordia ran aground near Giglio Island in Tuscany, Italy, earlier this year. On Wednesday, five bodies were located inside the partly submerged wreck.

Costa Crociere SpA says work to remove the capsized Costa Concordia cruise ship from its rocky perch off Tuscany will begin early next month and is expected to take 12 months.

Costa said in a statement Saturday the U.S.-owned company Titan Salvage won the bid to remove the ship, which struck rocks off the tourist-dependent island of Giglio on Jan. 13, when the captain made an unauthorised maneuver too close to shore.

A total of 32 passengers and crew members died; two people remain missing and are presumed dead.

The plan foresees removing the ship in one piece and towing it to an Italian port.

Workers completed the removal of fuel from the Concordia on March 24, and Costa said environmental protection will be a “top priority” during the ship's removal. - Sapa-AP


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory