MH370: Pilot’s son speaks

Comment on this story
IOL pic mar25 malaysia plane wall of messages Associated Press A visitor reads messages left for the passengers aboard Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 at Kuala Lumpur International Airport in Sepang, Malaysia, on March 25, 2014. Picture: Vincent Thian

Kuala Lumpur - The youngest son of the pilot whose flight went down in the Indian Ocean has dismissed speculation his father may have crashed the plane intentionally, a report said on Thursday.

Ahmad Seth, son of captain Zaharie Ahmad Shah, said he knew what kind of man his father was.

“I've read everything online. But I've ignored all the speculation. I know my father better,” Seth, 26, was quoted by the New Straits Times as saying.

“We may not be close as he travels so much. But I understand him,” the language student added in his first public remarks.

Zaharie, 53, along with his co-pilot Fariq Abdul Hamid, 27, has come under intense scrutiny after Malaysian authorities said Flight MH370's disappearance on March 8 was due to “deliberate” action by someone on the plane.

Malaysian police have already questioned the family members of the pilots and other crew and seized a home-built flight simulator which Zaharie installed in his house.

But they have not announced finding any evidence against him.

The US Federal Bureau of Investigation will complete its analysis of data deleted from the flight simulator “within a day or two”, its director said on Wednesday in Washington.

Malaysian officials had asked the FBI to help recover files deleted from the simulator's hard drive.

FBI chief James Comey did not indicate whether the results of the analysis would be made public.

Malaysia announced on Monday that, based on fresh satellite analysis, the flight with 239 passengers and crew crashed into the southern Indian Ocean.

There has been no explanation why it diverted from its Kuala Lumpur-Beijing flight path and ended up thousands of kilometres away.

No wreckage has been found despite an intensive international search, making it hard for families of those aboard to accept their loss.

“Now, we are just waiting for the right confirmation (for the wreckage or bodies)... I will believe it (that there are no survivors) when I see the proof in front of my eyes,” Ahmad Seth said.

The family of Zaharie, including his three children, have so far been avoiding the media. - AFP



sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.