Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
The Hague - Former Bosnian Serb army chief Ratko Mladic was released from hospital and sent back to his cell on Friday after taking ill at the Yugoslav war crimes trial a day earlier, an official said.
“Mladic has returned to the detention unit after medical examinations confirmed there were no abnormalities in his health status and that no treatment is required,” Nerma Jelacic, a spokeswoman for the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, said in a statement.
She added that Mladic is fit to stand trial and proceedings will restart Monday.
The 70-year-old Mladic is on trial for genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity for his role in Bosnia's 1992-1995 war.
He was hospitalised Thursday after complaining of feeling unwell in the court in The Hague as prosecution witness David Harland, a UN political advisor during the war, was giving evidence.
The man known as the “Butcher of Bosnia” was arrested in May 2011 after dodging justice for 16 years.
He has complained before of health issues, with his lawyer saying that Mladic has suffered three strokes and a heart attack in the past.
He also suffers from kidney stones and last year was treated for pneumonia. - Sapa-AFP