Mom might have heard rapist’s voice

Comment on this story
dec 6 rape kit INDEPENDENT NEWSPAPERS File image - A rape evidence kit. Photo: Andrew Ingram

London - A mother may have heard the voice of the man who raped her teenage daughter when she called her mobile to see why she had not come home.

The woman rang the 15-year-old girl’s mobile and was alarmed to hear a strange man’s voice in the background. She immediately phoned the police.

The teenager had been taken to a grassed area and was sexually assaulted at knifepoint during an ordeal which lasted 90 minutes.

She was later freed and took a taxi home.

During the journey she phoned her mother and said she had been robbed, but later revealed that she was raped.

The incident happened on Tuesday night in Elswick, Newcastle, and police have released CCTV of a man they want to question.

The victim’s 42-year-old aunt said: ‘Her mum rang her daughter and she could hear his voice in the background, she didn’t know where she was or what was happening.

“We just want him caught, so if anyone saw anything suspicious or anyone hanging around the area, please tell the police.”

Northumbria Police said the incident happened on waste ground.

Officers added that the attacker “threatened the victim with a knife before conducting a sustained assault”.

A 4-inch wooden-handled kitchen knife was later found at the scene.

The call was made by the worried mother to police at 10.40pm.

The girl’s aunt said: “My sister is absolutely devastated.

“She just keeps blaming herself and feels so guilty.

“But her girl was just walking to an event.

“She wasn’t drinking on the street like a lot of 15-year-olds do. She should have been safe.” The victim has been interviewed by rape case officers while other officers are reviewing CCTV footage.

Her aunt said of her: “She is coping. But she doesn’t realise the severity of what’s happened to her because she’s only 15.”

Police said the inquiry will not be scaled-down just because it’s Christmas.

Detective Chief Inspector Gary Hetherington, who is leading the investigation, said: “We have a dedicated team of officers and staff working on this investigation, using every tool at our disposal to catch the rapist.

“We are studying extensive CCTV footage, undertaking forensic tests and working with the family and local community.

“Our team will remain fully resourced and staffed until this crime is solved.

“This was a particularly nasty offence, all the more so because of how unusual it is, and I would like to again reassure the community that we have extra officers on patrol in the area and that these will continue over the holidays.”

A man of 19 was yesterday arrested in connection with the attack. - Daily Mail


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.