Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
New Zealand troops in Afghanistan came under a second attack after insurgents killed two and wounded six others in a weekend ambush in Bamiyan province, Prime Minister John Key revealed on Monday.
There were no casualties reported in the clash at the New Zealanders' forward base in Do Abe, following Saturday's fatal attack, Key said.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack.
Key said the government had approved an enlarged patrol area to give better protection to the 140-strong Provincial Reconstruction Team that has been working in the province since 2003.
Key said insurgent activity had been growing for three or four years in Bamiyan, which had previously been seen as one of the first provinces to be peaceful enough to be handed over to Afghan control.
“We are in a combat zone with a better resourced insurgent group at the moment as we saw by the state of the attack on Saturday night,” he said. “We are doing the best we can to make sure our soldiers are as safe as possible.”
Key ruled out recalling the troops before the scheduled withdrawal
next year as part of the international handover to local forces. - Sapa-dpa