Start making sense of your financial wellness.

Watch the Sitholes every Thursday at 17h30 on e.tv

Stolen baby finds mom after 50 years

Comment on this story


iol pic wld maria gomez

AFP

Francisco Franco's regime allowed children to be taken away at birth if the parents were left-wing opponents or not married. In April 2012, Sister Maria Gomez Valbuena, centre, was the first person to go before a judge over the scandal.

Madrid - A Spanish woman was reunited with her mother nearly 50 years after being abducted as a newborn, one of numerous alleged cases of “stolen babies” from the Franco era, police said on Saturday.

Francisco Franco's regime allowed children to be taken away at birth if the parents were left-wing opponents or not married. Victims' groups say the practice continued after his death in 1975.

In the latest such case to be resolved, a woman in the eastern city of Valencia who suspected she was a stolen baby lodged a judicial request to find her mother, national police said in a statement.

Examining hospital records, police identified a woman whom DNA tests revealed to be the biological mother. She had been told by the hospital where she gave birth in 1964 that her baby had died.

“She was very surprised and happy to hear the news,” the police statement said.

“All these years the biological mother had lived believing that the baby, whose sex she had never even been told, had died in childbirth,” it added.

Campaign groups for suspected victims of the practice such as SOS Bebes Robados and Anadir say hundreds of thousands of newborns were stolen under Franco.

They say about 1 500 court cases have been filed with prosecutors but that judges have shelved many cases on the grounds that the deeds were committed too long ago.

Saturday's statement said: “police are continuing investigations to locate those responsible for the abduction” in Valencia.

It did not reveal the two women's names.

In another case, a lawyer said on Friday that judges had launched a fresh investigation into a nun accused of stealing newborns in the 1980s.

In April 2012, Sister Maria Gomez Valbuena, 87, was the first person to go before a judge over the scandal. She was questioned over the kidnapping of a baby girl from a Madrid hospital three decades ago.

Now she is accused by another mother, Purificacion Betegon, of taking away her twins in 1981, said the plaintiff's lawyer, Alipio Barbero.

Last month, 47-year-old Quique Olivert from the southern town of Huelva told AFP he tracked down his birth parents with the help of SOS Bebes Robados after his adoptive parents died. - AFP


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.

     

Join us on

IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks IOL-Social networks

Business Directory