Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
An Australian teenager died in a Perth hospital on Sunday from methanol poisoning after drinking a contaminated cocktail served him at a bar on the Indonesian holiday island of Lombok.
Liam Davies, 19, fell ill on New Year's Day and was flown back home for treatment.
“We would like to make people aware of the risks associated with consuming locally brewed drinks where you cannot be certain of the quality,” his family said in a statement published by the West Australian newspaper.
Davies is the latest holidaymaker to suffer the effects of methanol, a by-product in the distillation of alcoholic cocktails often sold to those visiting Bali and Lombok as Jungle Juice.
An 18-year-old Australian nurse holidaying in Bali in December went blind after drinking a local brew laced with methanol.
In September 2011, Perth-based New Zealander Michael Denton died in Bali from suspected methanol poisoning. - Sapa-dpa