Get IOL's cool new iPad app...
Vidin, Bulgaria - Three young children perished in a trailer fire in a Roma neighbourhood in Bulgaria after being locked in by their parents, police said on Wednesday.
Two Roma boys aged four and seven and their 18-month-old sister were in the family's rundown trailer when the fire erupted late on Tuesday, most probably from the coal and wood stove, they said.
Their bodies were only recovered by firefighters after the blaze in Vidin, a town in northwestern Bulgaria, was put out.
The 24-year-old mother and 33-year-old father have been arrested, police said.
Neighbours told Bulgarian media the children had been systematically left unattended and locked in the trailer by their parents.
The family had no electricity or running water and the eldest boy was taken out of school to care for his brother and sister, they said.
With about 700 000 people, Bulgaria's Roma community makes up 10 percent of the population. The vast majority face severe discrimination and deep poverty and illiteracy and unemployment are rampant. - AFP