New twist in bail bid of Henning hit accusedComment on this story
YOLANDE DU PREEZ
IN AN unexpected turn of events, the brother of Ambrose Monye has offered him accommodation should he be released on bail.
Monye’s defence, advocate Jeff Ledwaba, told the Pretoria Regional Court about this offer yesterday. State prosecutor Gerrie Nel objected.
Monye is one of five men who were arrested in November last year, for allegedly conspiring to murder Chanelle Henning.
The teacher was gunned down outside the school of her five-year-old son on November 8.
Monye’s co-accused Andre Gouws was denied bail in March. Willem Pieterse and Gerhardus du Plessis pleaded guilty to murder and are serving 18-year jail terms.
Ledwaba told the court that Monye was given SA citizenship when he married a local in 2007.
Asked if he was in possession of a passport during a previous murder trial in 2009, Monye replied: “Yes.”
Ledwaba was referring to a murder trial which lasted more than two years. It was alleged that Monye killed Neville Olivier in a road rage attack after they both headed for the same parking spot in Menlyn Square. It was alleged that a kick to Olivier’s head caused his death.
Monye was acquitted on November 8 last year, the same day Henning was gunned down.
The court heard that he did not evade his trial after he was granted bail in that case. Monye also told the court that all his travel documents had been confiscated by the police during his arrest and he would not try to leave the country.
Ledwaba briefly touched on Monye’s claims that he was severely assaulted on the day of his arrest. He testified yesterday that while he was lying handcuffed on the ground, a police officer pulled his pants down and injected him with an unknown substance.
He also claimed he was given tablets by Captain Peet van der Spuy after the assault.
Nel said it was the right of the State to investigate the new address of Monye’s brother, Peter.
Ledwaba asked the State that Monye be accompanied by his lawyer to the new address. This was because Monye had previously claimed the State had intimidated his witnesses when they visited the previous address.
The case resumes on July 13.