Johannesburg - South Africans seem to have a penchant for amusing adverts and hard news stories.
Excluding major music labels, the YouTube videos most watched by South Africans in 2013 included just one music video, that from Norwegian duo Ylvis which featured some really banal lyrics (Dog goes woof, cat goes meow, bird goes tweet, mouse goes squeek, cow goes moo, frog goes croak, etc).
There were three adverts – from Halls, Dove and British Airways.
Accidents, crimes and terrorist attacks rounded up the list.
The top 10 videos were
1. Shocking Pinetown truck crash footage by enews channel
2. Ylvis – The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?), official music video HD, by tvnorge
3. Halls advert, Klein Kimmie, by Halls SA
4. Jaguar Attacks Crocodile (Exclusive Video) by National Geographic
5. How Animals Eat Their Food Mister EpicMann by Mister EpicMann
6. 7 year old girl steals iPhone by jessostrin
7. Dove Real Beauty Sketches by doveunitedstatesa
8. Man vs Plane, British Airways advertisement by FlyBritishAirways
9. Westgate attack, exclusive video footage by CCTVAFRICALIVE
10. Biker riding unsafely with small child 2013 08 25 by Rad Bonos
Top 10 Music Videos watched by South Africans
1. Miley Cyrus – Wrecking Ball by MileyCyrus VEVO
2. Miley Cyrus – We Can’t Stop by MileyCyrus VEVO
3. Katy Perry – Roar (Official) by KatyPerry VEVO
4. PSY – GENTLEMAN M/V by officialpsy
5. Robin Thicke – Blurred Lines ft. T.I., Pharrell by RobinThicke VEVO
6. Rihanna – Stay ft. Mikky Ekko by Rihanna VEVO
7. Ylvis – The Fox (What Does the Fox Say?) [Official music video HD] by tvnorge
8. Rihanna – Pour It Up (Explicit) by Rihanna VEVO
9. DJ Ganyani ft FB – Xigubu (Official Music Video) by Ganyani Entertainment
10. P!nk – Just Give Me A Reason ft. Nate Ruess by Pink VEVO
Top 10 Channels in South Africa in 2013
1. Pew Die Pie
2. The Ellen Show
3. The XFactor USA
4. Jenna Marbles
5. Just ForLaughs TV
9. Ray William Johnson
10. Beeld Video
l 2013 is the 5th year Google has made a list of the most popular videos on YouTube.
l We now watch six billion hours of YouTube video every month. - The Star