Bolt resumes London boycottComment on this story
London – Elite athletics will return to the Olympic Stadium on the first anniversary of the London Games, but Usain Bolt will not attend the party.
The British Athletics London Grand Prix, part of the Diamond League series, will move from its traditional home of Crystal Palace and take place on July 27, a year on from the London 2012 opening ceremony. Daily Mail understands Bolt, who won three gold medals inside the stadium last summer, will honour his pledge not to compete again in the UK until tax laws are changed. There was a tax amnesty for the Games but HMRC would insist on 50 per cent of Bolt’s appearance fee, plus half of any sponsorship or endorsements, if he competed in London.
Speaking last August, Bolt said: “As soon as the law changes I’ll be here all the time. I love being here.”
Brits Mo Farah and Jessica Ennis hope to be involved in the meeting, which takes place two weeks before the World Championships in Moscow. Farah said: “The atmosphere was electric during the Games so it’s great the British fans will get to experience that again. It’ll be perfect preparation for the World Championships.”
Fans who already have tickets for the Crystal Palace event get an automatic refund and will be given priority to buy seats – at the same price – for the new venue. Sections of the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park will also open to the public on July 27. The Diamond League meeting is the first – and, so far, only – sporting event set to take place in the £429million stadium. – Daily Mail