Paris – Sprint star Usain Bolt has withdrawn from the Diamond League meet in Monaco on July 20, which was to have been his last outing before the London Olympics, after picking up a “slight problem” at the Jamaican trials.
The defending 100 and 200m Olympic champion, and world record-holder in both events, pulled up at the end of the 200m at last week's Jamaican Olympic trials.
The 25-year-old briefly received medical treatment on the track after crossing the finish line on Sunday, trainers working on his legs before he got up and walked off.
“Arising from Usain's participation at the National Trials in Kingston this past weekend where he had a slight problem, after careful assessment I have had to withdraw him from the Samsung Diamond League Meeting in Monaco on July 20 to give him sufficient time for treatment and time to train and prepare for the Olympic Games in London,” Bolt's coach Glen Mills said.
Bolt suffered a shock at the trials, being beaten into second in both the 100 and 200m by training partner Yohan Blake.
“I am happy to have earned my spot on the Jamaican Olympic team despite the challenge,” Bolt said.
“I will be in London to defend my titles in the 100, 200 and 4x100 metres. I want to congratulate my fellow Racers Track Club Members along with the other athletes who made the team. I thank everyone for their support.” – Sapa-AFP