LOS ANGELES – The mouth-watering middleweight showdown between Saul “Canelo” Alvarez and Kazakh knockout king Gennady Golovkin is on, and Oscar de la Hoya says a stream of global venues are interested.
“I really had several calls from around the world wanting to stage the fight,” De la Hoya said on Saturday night in
“I literally have a missed call from Dubai, I have a missed call from the (United Kingdom), where Anthony Joshua and (Wladimir) Klitschko just sold out (a) 90 000-seat stadium, so there’s interest from all over the world,” De la Hoya said.
Last year, Alvarez beat
Saturday night’s post-fight announcement – with “Triple G” Golovkin striding from ringside to join in – was the most electrifying moment at the T-Mobile Arena in
In the build-up to their bout, Chavez had chided Alvarez for failing to make a deal to fight Golovkin.
Alvarez dumped his World Boxing Council (WBC) middleweight world belt last year when the sanctioning body gave him a 15-day window to make a fight with undefeated Golovkin, now owner of the WBC, World Boxing Association (WBA) and International Boxing Federation (IBF) middleweight world titles.
Critics charged that Alvarez was afraid of the fight – or that De la Hoya didn’t want to risk the top fighter in the Golden Boy stable.
But De la Hoya insisted an Alvarez-Golovkin bout was never in doubt. “I’ve always stated that Triple G will happen in 2017, ever since a year ago when everyone was asking ‘Why are you afraid of Triple G?’” he said.
In fact, De la Hoya said, the deal was done even before the Chavez fight. “We restarted negotiating two weeks ago, and it got done a few days ago,” he said.