Johannesburg – Cricket South Africa (CSA) CEO Haroon Lorgat has spoken out for the first time since he was put on leave regarding BCCI affairs, insisting it was his decision to step aside.
Speaking on Sports Talk on EWN on Sunday, Lorgat said he nothing to prove and that the truth would prevail once an International Cricket Council (ICC) investigation into comments he made about its former legal advisor, David Becker, was completed.
“I offered the board to step aside until the Indian tour was confirmed and until the allegation against me was cleared,” EWN are reporting on their website, www.ewn.co.za.
“I’ve got nothing to fear and I didn’t want to be the person to hold up or have the tour cancelled. I was happy to step aside so the tour could continue as no one is bigger than the tour.”
CSA announced last week that, as part of an agreement with the BCCI, Lorgat would not handle India’s tour here in December, and that the CEO would not have any dealings with the BCCI until the ICC investigation is completed.
“I don’t believe my position is untenable because it’s a workable solution as there is plenty to be done at CSA. There is a development programme that must be revisited and transformation issues to be dealt with. I look forward to getting my focus on areas I know I can make a difference in,” Lorgat said in his interview on Sports Talk.
After negotiations between CSA and the BCCI, India will play two Tests and three ODI’s againt South Africa. – IOL