Contador to avoid surgeryComment on this story
Besanéon, France – Former two-time Tour de France winner Alberto Contador will not undergo an operation to repair his broken shinbone, he said in a statement.
Contador crashed badly on a descent during Monday’s tough mountainous stage from Mulhouse to La Planche des Belles Filles and was forced to quit the Tour in tears and pain shortly afterwards.
There had been fears he would need surgery on his fractured tibia but he said it would only complicate matters.
“The doctors told me that an operation could increase the trauma,” said the 31-year-old Spaniard.
“However, it means the recovery period will be longer. The good news is that there is no tendon or ligament damage.
“The fracture is in the best possible place. I’ll need two weeks of rest.”
However, Contador said his chances of meeting Chris Froome, who also crashed out of the Tour a week ago with a broken hand and wrist, at the Vuelta a Espana, which begins on August 23, were slim.
“The doctors also told me it would be practically impossible to be there for the start of the Vuelta. But we’ll see how it develops,” he said. – Sapa-AFP