Stander drops Olympics appealComment on this story
Johannesburg – Cyclist Cherise Stander has dropped her appeal against her exclusion from the Olympic cycling team because the matter would only be concluded after the Olympic Games, she said on Tuesday.
“I have decided not to take my Olympic Games non-selection on review to the high court,” she said in a statement.
Stander (nee Taylor) contends that Cycling SA's decision to exclude her from the three-woman team, which will compete at the London Olympic Games starting on July 27, was “fatally flawed.
“It may be that if I am successful in the high court review proceedings, that CSA will appeal this ruling, which will result that the high court appeal will only be heard well after conclusion of the Olympics,” she said.
She said her decision not to proceed with the court action had been “very difficult to make”.
The riders selected were Ashleigh Moolman Pasio, ranked 23rd in the world, Joanna van de Winkel (138th) and Robyn de Groot (323rd).
Stander is ranked 98th in the world.
“I feel it is the right decision not to pursue the matter any further. Unfortunately, it means that I will not be representing South Africa at the London Olympic Games.
“My decision has also been made in the interests of stability and of South African women achieving success at the London Olympic Games.
“I know that by continuing with the high court proceedings, there would be a continuation of the current atmosphere of extreme negativity,” said Stander.
“Although my fight has not been with my fellow cyclists, but rather with CSA, I have been on the receiving end of some unsavoury treatment over the past few days.
“It is indeed sad that I have received a negative response from certain quarters for a matter which is fully within my rights to question,” she said. – Sapa