Last kick of the game wins thriller for unbeaten Crusaders

Super Rugby

CHRISTCHURCH – Mitch Hunt banged over a drop goal three minutes after the hooter to give the Crusaders a 25-22 win the Highlanders to preserve their perfect Super Rugby record this season with a 14th successive win on Saturday.

New Zealand coach Steve Hansen, however, was left counting the cost of a bruising encounter at AMI Stadium when Crusaders centre Ryan Crotty suffered a rib injury that looks like keeping him out of the British and Irish Lions series.

Tell a friend
Mitch Hunt kicked the winning drop goal for the Crusaders against the Highlanders on Saturday. Photo: Muzi Ntombela, BackpagePixWaisake Naholo scored a brace for the Highlanders. Photo: Frikkie Kapp, BackpagePix

Replacement flyhalf Hunt levelled the scores at 22-22 with four minutes remaining, and missed another place-kick in the final minute before somehow willing a snap drop kick over from 45 metres to give his side a memorable victory.

Hunt said the tiring pack really gave him no choice.

“Wyatt Crockett turned around and said ‘Do something with it’ and there wasn’t anything else I could do,” he said, admitting he was surprised the kick went over.

“For a short player, I can hardly punt it that far, so I was pretty lucky with that kick.”

The seven-time champions, seeking their first title since 2008, also had tries from scrumhalf Mitchell Drummond, wing Seta Tamanivalu and flank Heiden Bedwell-Curtis as they snapped the Highlanders’ nine-match winning streak.

“Just one of those South Island games, both sides will be very, very sore tomorrow,” said Crusaders captain Sam Whitelock.

“Just so proud of the boys the way they held on all game, and little Mitchy stepped up at the end...”

All Black wing Waisake Naholo scored two opportunistic tries early in the second half for the Highlanders, while Richard Buckman also crossed for the visitors.

The Crusaders won all 13 of their games in 2002, however that year, they played just 11 regular season matches and the semi-final and final. They then won the first two games of the 2003 season.

On Saturday, the Highlanders found themselves under immense pressure from the Crusaders from the outset.

Drummond and Tamanivalu both crossed in the first 14 minutes and while the Highlanders dominated first-half territory and possession, the Crusaders defence and work at the breakdown released any pressure.

It was only when Bedwell-Curtis was sin-binned by referee Glen Jackson for a professional foul that the Crusaders line cracked, with Buckman put over by a long pass from Marty Banks, who converted and added a penalty to cut the deficit to 19-10. 


The Highlanders, however, finally capitalised on what opportunities they had in the second half.

Naholo first pounced on a spilled high kick inside the Crusaders 22-metre area just after halftime, then plucked an intercept and raced 75 metres four minutes later to give his side a 22-19 advantage, their first lead of the game.

The match then descended into an arm wrestle around the middle of the field, and the Crusaders went through 19 phases before the ball was handed to Hunt.

Hansen, who names his All Black squad on Thursday, will also have been concerned that Highlanders fullback Ben Smith did not return to the pitch after a concussion check.

Reuters, AFP

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Tell a friend