Beckham to miss out on OlympicsComment on this story
London – David Beckham has not been selected in Britain's Olympic soccer squad in a huge blow for the former England captain's hopes of crowning the twilight of his career in style.
The Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder had been widely expected to be named as one of the three over-age players in Stuart Pearce's Under-23 squad for the London Games in July and August.
“Naturally I am very disappointed, but there will be no bigger supporter of the team than me,” Beckham said in quotes relayed by his spokesman on Thursday.
British media reports said Manchester United's long-serving Welsh winger Ryan Giggs, Wales striker Craig Bellamy and Manchester City right back Micah Richards, who missed out on England's Euro 2012 campaign, had been chosen.
World famous Beckham, 37, was England's most capped outfield player with 115 appearances and has had a major role both in London winning the Olympics and in the build-up to the Games, helping bring the flame back from Greece.
He had been tipped by media to light the stadium cauldron when the Games begin in his east London birthplace on July 27. – Reuters