Rio de Janeiro – At least 100,000 security personnel will be deployed across Brazil for the World Cup as organisers seek to prevent a repeat of violence that rocked the country last year, an official said Thursday.
Andrei Rodrigues, special secretary for security and safety at major events, said the total number on duty during the tournament would be double that for the 2013 Confederations Cup.
“In June for the Confederations Cup there were 50,000 mobilised across Brazil. We estimate there will be 100,000 security professionals mobilised for the World Cup,” Rodrigues told reporters.
That includes officers from the police and military, as well as members of the National Force, an elite unit that will be ready to intervene where necessary, Rodrigues said.
Rodrigues spoke during a week-long tour of the 12 cities that will host matches in the 32-team World Cup, the biggest sporting event ever staged by Brazil.
Rodrigues is to gather information about arrangements in each venue and then report back to President Dilma Rousseff as Brazil fine-tunes its security plan.
Hundreds of thousands of protesters took to the streets during last year's Confederations Cup to protest the billions of dollars Brazil has spent to prepare for the World Cup and the 2016 Olympics while the country grapples with poor public services.
Security concerns have also flared again this week after violence at the home of Sao Paulo club Corinthians, when fans broke into a training session and attacked players.
The month-long World Cup kicks off June 12. – Sapa-AFP