Burnley topple Palace in first away win

Premier League

Burnley enjoyed their first away win of the season with goals from Ashley Barnes and Andre Gray giving them a 2-0 win at Selhurst Park against Crystal Palace in the Premier League on Saturday.

The win moves Burnley (39 points) eight points above the relegation zone ahead of Swansea’s (31 points) visit to Manchester United on Sunday, and should secure their top-flight status for another season.

Tell a friend
Ashley Barnes scored the first goal for Burnley against Crystal Palace on Saturday. Photo: Stefan Wermuth, ReutersSouthampton’s Dusan Tadic (centre) in total disbelief after having his penalty saved. Photo:  Tony O’Brien, Action Images via Reuters

Barnes converted from close range after a low ball into the box from Stephen Ward, and shortly afterwards had a second effort disallowed for handball.

But substitute Gray made sure of the win five minutes from the end, racing on to a superb through-ball from George Boyd and blasting home.

Palace are in 16th place, seven points ahead of Swansea.

* Stoke City and West Ham United both edged towards Premier League survival after Saturday’s action-packed 0-0 draw kept them well clear of the relegation struggle below them.

Goalkeepers at both ends shone as Stoke’s Jack Butland kept out two efforts by West Ham’s Ghana forward Andrew Ayew, notably a spectacular overhead kick in the 36th minute, while he also thwarted Manuel Lanzini.

West Ham’s Spanish shot-stopper Adrian denied Marko Arnautovic, Saido Berahino and Xherdan Shaqiri, the latter also missing Stoke’s best chance of the match when he dragged his shot wide from close range.

Stoke piled on the pressure in the closing stages as they started whipping inviting crosses into West Ham’s penalty area, but the visitors held firm to stretch their unbeaten run to four games, albeit three of them draws.

* Relegation-threatened Hull City earned their first point on the road in six games after goalkeeper Eldin Jakupovic saved a late penalty in a goalless draw at Southampton on Saturday.

Southampton’s Dusan Tadic failed to convert from the spot in the 91st minute after Hull midfielder Alfred N’Diaye committed a foul during a corner.

The visitors came close to break the deadlock in the first half at St Mary’s, with winger Kamil Grosicki’s free kick hitting the post before testing goalkeeper Fraser Forster with a long-range effort.

Hull, in 17th place and three points clear of the drop zone, held on to a draw with a tight defensive display despite substitutes Shane Long and Josh Sims doing their best to snatch at late win for Southampton.

Tell a friend