Advertisement

Hazard escapes extended ban

London - Chelsea playmaker Eden Hazard's three-match ban for kicking a ballboy will not be extended, the Football Association (FA) said on Thursday.

Hazard was charged by the FA following his bizarre sending off for violent conduct in the second leg of Chelsea's Capital One (League) Cup semi-final defeat by Swansea City last week.

(File image) Chelsea's Eden Hazard (right) gets sent off during their English League Cup semi-final second leg soccer match against Swansea at the Liberty Stadium. Credit: Reuters

The Belgian international kicked the teenager while trying to get the ball as the ballboy laid on top of it.

Hazard received an automatic three-match ban for his 78th-minute red card but faced the possibility of a longer suspension.

“Following a hearing earlier today, an independent regulatory commission was of the opinion the existing three-match sanction for this offence was sufficient,” the FA said in a statement. - Reuters

SHOW ALL
Advertisement
Olympics Live Blog