London – Luis Suarez took a significant step towards healing his rift with Liverpool after he was allowed to return to training on Friday.
The Uruguay striker was photographed laughing and joking at Melwood, back among the first-team pool following clear-the-air talks with manager Brendan Rodgers.
Liverpool would not confirm whether the controversial striker had apologised for an interview he gave nine days ago accusing his manager of going back on a promise to let him move on.
But given that Rodgers had been so incensed that he said the player would remain excluded until he showed some contrition, it is almost certain the 26-year-old has been conciliatory to the manager.
It is understood, however, that Suarez did not speak to the group collectively to apologise.
Suarez had been ordered to train on his own nine days ago following his outburst, but met Rodgers to discuss his situation after returning from international duty.
This latest development provides further endorsement to John W Henry’s declaration that Suarez would “categorically” be at Anfield after the transfer window closes, despite bids from Arsenal.
Rodgers had refused to talk about Suarez, who still has six games of a 10-match ban to serve, for fear of the issue ‘sabotaging’ Liverpool’s start to the season. They face Stoke at Anfield at lunchtime .
Liverpool continue in talks to sign Anzhi Makhachkala forward Willian and have agreed a deal in principle to sign Valencia left back Aly Cissokho on a season-long loan.
Rodgers said: “We need quality. We are confident in the next couple of weeks we can add to the team.” – Daily Mail