London – Chelsea duo Juan Mata and David Luiz have the chance to prove a point to boss Jose Mourinho against Swindon on Tuesday
Both men were dropped for the weekend win over Fulham but they will make their first-team returns at the County Ground in the Capital One Cup third round.
“You continue to change when you play Basle, then Fulham, then Swindon. It’s normal,” said Mourinho.
“Against Swindon it will probably be good to play with some of these boys to give them confidence if we play well. But it is the type of game that can betray you. It can give you confidence or take your confidence.
“If we play well there it will be a good game to play for these boys. Naturally I have to make some changes and wait for some players to say, ‘I am your first choice’.
“Some of the others, when they don’t have strong performances, it’s normal we have some doubts. This is the process.”
Mata’s struggle to break into Mourinho’s starting XI this season is a major surprise because he has been a regular since arriving at Stamford Bridge.
The Spain international, who is the club’s player of the year, has found first-team football hard to come under Mourinho, playing just 145 minutes so far.
With a World Cup next year, the playmaker may assess his future in the January transfer window should he continue to be left out. But assistant manager Steve Holland has praised the 25-year-old’s application in recent weeks.
“You can have a different relationship with the players as a coach or assistant, as opposed to the manager who picks the team and makes the major decisions,” said the No 2.
“You’re forever communicating with players. In this case, it’s a top professional with a fantastic attitude. There’s not a great deal to be said to Juan. He knows the score.”
Meanwhile, Chelsea hope to complete a deal for midfielder Bertrand Traore in January. The 18-year-old Burkino Faso international has been on trial at Stamford Bridge. – Daily Mail