at the Union Buildings in Pretoria
London – Liverpool defender Martin Skrtel insisted Thursday he is looking forward to the upcoming Premier League season, playing down reports that he is being targeted by Manchester City.
The Slovakian international Skrtel has been linked to both City and super-rich Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala in recent weeks but the 27-year-old said no contact had been made with any potential suitor.
Instead Skrtel is adamant he remains focused on helping Liverpool launch a new era under manager Brendan Rodgers following last season's disappointing campaign.
“I will be leaving for Liverpool on July 6. I am very excited about new season,” Skrtel told his personal website.
“I hope we will be ready and this time it will be much better than in the last one.
“There is also speculation about my exit from Liverpool but I can say that there was no offer on the table yet and we didn't hold talks with any club.”
Skrtel has two years remaining on his existing contract although Rodgers is expected to offer the defender an extension.– Sapa-AFP