Villas-Boas gets his second chanceComment on this story
Andre Villas-Boas has been given a second chance to succeed in the Barclays Premier League.
As Sportsmail forecast last week, the Portuguese has been named as Tottenham’s new manager on a three-year contract.
But the 34-year-old’s appointment only four months after his sacking by Chelsea drew quick criticism from former Spurs boss Glenn Hoddle.
‘I did not think that is the way Spurs would go,’ Hoddle told ESPN. ‘It’s more than a slight risk because of the way things didn’t work out at Chelsea.
‘I thought it might have been better for him to go and reinvent himself elsewhere before he had another crack at English football.’
Villas-Boas was in London yesterday to complete the deal to become Harry Redknapp’s successor, bringing trusted aides Jose Mario Rocha and Daniel Sousa with him as he bids to repair his reputation after poor results and talk of rifts with senior players marred his time at Stamford Bridge.
‘Tottenham Hotspur is a great club with a strong tradition and fantastic support, both at home and throughout the world. I feel privileged to be its coach,’ said Villas-Boas. ‘For me, this is one of the most exciting coaching positions in the Premier League.
‘I have had several discussions with the chairman and the board and I share their vision for the future progress of this club.
‘This is a squad any coach would love to work with and together I believe we can bring success in the seasons ahead.’
Chairman Daniel Levy will open the chequebook to help Villas-Boas reaffirm his position as one of Europe’s best coaches.
‘We are constantly looking to move the club forward,’ said Levy. ‘It is important we now look to develop the potential within the squads at all levels while strengthening the first team in the summer in key positions with players who will become part of the future success of this club.’
While Villas-Boas’s official title of head coach indicates he will not have total control over the club’s transfer policy, the Portuguese is wasting no time in strengthening his new squad.
Spurs took significant steps towards completing the signing of Hoffenheim midfielder Gylfi Sigurdsson yesterday after Villas-Boas approved the £8million signing. Ajax defender Jan Vertonghen — a man Villas-Boas scouted during his spell at Stamford Bridge — is expected to follow.
Villas-Boas has also made it a priority to sign at least one big-name striker, with Spurs exploring the possibility of making a permanent move for Emmanuel Adebayor, while they would want to take Real Madrid striker Gonzalo Higuain in any deal that sends Luka Modric to Spain.
Villas-Boas, who tried to sign Modric for Chelsea last summer, is privately resigned to losing the influential midfielder, with the Bernabeu his likely destination.
There are also concerns over current goalkeepers Brad Friedel and Heurelho Gomes and resolving the uncertainty over Ledley King’s playing future is also believed to be high on Villas-Boas’s agenda.
The club captain’s contract expired on Sunday but he will test out his troublesome knee in pre-season before making a final decision on whether to retire. Villas-Boas would be forced to pick a new skipper if King retires, with Scott Parker and Michael Dawson early contenders for the armband.
In addition to Rocha and Sousa joining the club’s coaching set-up, it is understood Villas-Boas wants to add another two members to his backroom team.– Daily Mail