Kaizer Chiefs slump continues at Polokwane City


POLOKWANE – Kaizer Chiefs’ poor end-of-season form continued when they lost 1-0 to Polokwane City in their Premiership match at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on Saturday evening.

The defeat leaves Amakhosi without a win in their last four games, and five points behind third-placed Cape Town City, with two games to play.

Tell a friend
Thapelo Tshilo (right) scored the crucial goal for Polokwane City against Kaizer Chiefs. Photo: BackpagePixRamahlwe Mphahlele of Kaizer Chiefs slides into Rodney Ramagalela of Polokwane City at Peter Mokaba Stadium on Saturday. Photo: BackpagePix

Steve Komphela’s side were on top for most of the opening 60 minutes on a cold and rainy night in the Limpopo, only for Rise and Shine to finish strongly as defender Thapelo Tshilo earned the hosts all three points with a goal 15 minutes from time.

Polokwane made a bright start to the game, but it was Chiefs winger Joseph Molangoane who had the first chance on goal after nine minutes, but his shot from a tight angle was turned around the post by George Chigova.

Two minutes later and George Lebese had an even better opportunity, but fired wide after going clean through on goal as the Glamour Boys began to take control of proceedings.

It was in the 37th minute that the next clear chance arrived, but Amakhosi midfielder Keagan Buchanan miscued his shot and Chigova made an easy save.

There was some work for Chiefs goalkeeper Itumeleng Khune to do five minutes before the break, when he did well to tip Salulani Phiri’s powerful header over the goal.

The Soweto side had some promising moments in and around the opposition box shortly after halftime, but some excellent defending from the hosts saw no clear shots coming in on their goal.

Instead it was City who posed a threat as Rendani Ndou forced Khune into making a superb reflex save at the near post on 74 minutes.

Ryan Moon of Kaizer Chiefs secures possession against Polokwane City. Photo: BackpagePix

And it was from the resultant corner that the Limpopo club took the lead after the ball had looped up off George Maluleka and into the path of Tshilo, who perfectly executed his volley at the back post.

With Chiefs looking to equalise, gaps opened up in their defence, but the hosts failed to capitalise as Rodney Ramagalela twice fired over the bar from a good position, before Vusimusi Mngomezulu’s effort skimmed over the crossbar.

But the lone goal proved to be enough as Amakhosi never really looked like mounting a late comeback.

African News Agency (ANA)

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Tell a friend