Djokovic closes gap on NadalComment on this story
Berlin – Novak Djokovic closed in on top-ranked Rafael Nadal in the latest men's tennis rankings issued on Monday by the ATP, thanks to beating the Spaniard for the Miami Masters title.
Djokovic halved a deficit of almost 4,000 points four weeks ago with his second career Indian Wells/Miami title double, and on 11,810 points is now less than 2,000 points behind Nadal, who has 13,730.
The Serb Djokovic beat Nadal in straight sets Sunday for his fourth Miami trophy. He won in Indian Wells a fortnight ago.
Australian Open champion Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland is third and Canada's Milos Raonic returned into the top 10, up from 12 to 10, thanks to a place in the Miami quarter-finals. ATP top 10 as of March 31 (previous ranking in parenthesis):
1. (1) Rafael Nadal, Spain, 13,730 points
2. (2) Novak Djokovic, Serbia, 11,810
3. (3) Stanislas Wawrinka, Switzerland, 5,740
4. (5) Roger Federer, Switzerland, 5,225
5. (7) Tomas Berdych, Czech Republic, 4,720
6. (4) David Ferrer, Spain, 4,640
7. (8) Juan Martin del Potro, Argentina, 4,260
8. (6) Andy Murray, Britain, 3,975
9. (10) John Isner, United States, 2,715
10. (12) Milos Raonic, Canada, 2,710 – Sapa-dpa