Advertisement

Nadal withdraws from US Open

Spain's Rafa Nadal will not defend his U.S. Open title this month after failing to recover fully from a wrist injury, the world number two said on Facebook and Twitter on Monday.

The 28-year-old left-hander sustained the injury during practice last month and has been training with a cast on his right wrist, forcing him to miss the Rogers Cup in Toronto and last week's Cincinnati Open.

Spain's Rafa Nadal will not defend his U.S. Open title this month after failing to recover fully from a wrist injury. Photo: Max Rossi. Credit: Reuters

“I am very sorry to announce I won't be able to play at this year's US Open a tournament on which I've played 3 consecutive finals in my last participations,” he said on his official Facebook account.

“I am sure you understand that it is a very tough moment for me since it is a tournament I love and where I have great memories from fans, the night matches, so many things Not much more I can do right now, other than accept the situation and, as always in my case, work hard in order to be able to compete at the highest level once I am back.”

The 14-times grand slam winner also triumphed at Flushing Meadows in 2010. – Reuters

SHOW ALL
Advertisement
Tweets by extrastrongsa