fast little loans
London - London organisers promised the biggest, most high-profile Paralympic Games in the event's 52-year-history. As the Games draw to a close on Sunday, here is a breakdown of the event in numbers:
- A record 4 200 athletes competed in 503 events across 20 Paralympic sports. They claimed 1 522 medals during 11 days of competition.
- 2.7 million tickets were sold, compared to 1.8 million for the last Paralympic Games in Beijing in 2008.
- 422 Paralympic records were broken, of which 252 were world records.
- 164 countries were represented - including several making their Paralympic debut.
- The repairs workshop in the Paralympic Athletes' Village completed 2 740 repairs on wheelchairs, prosthetic limbs and orthoses (supporting devices) during the Games. They also fixed one team's paper shredder.
- Zero hours of live coverage were broadcast by NBC, the United States Paralympics rights-holder, sparking widespread criticism.
- More than 1.3 million tweets mentioning the word “Paralympics” were posted on social networking website Twitter during the Games.
- The London 2012 website was visited 25 million times.
- A YouTube video of British table tennis player David Wetherill pulling off an extraordinary diving forehand against Germany's Thomasz Kusiak has been viewed more than five million times. - Sapa-AFP