Qatar confident of remaining WC host

Comment on this story
qatar corrupt Jun 8 AFP Qatari Mohammed Bin Hammam is alleged to have used his high-level contacts to buy support for the Opec members World Cup bid. Photo: Fabrice Coffrini

Dubai – Qatar says it is confident its winning bid to host the 2022 World Cup will stand following new allegations that a Qatari official used his high-level contacts to buy support for the Opec member’s bid.

The Qatar 2022 Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy said Sunday that it stands by a statement issued last week denying any wrongdoing in securing rights to host the tournament.

Its comments follow the release of fresh allegations published in Britain’s The Sunday Times that Qatari Mohammed Bin Hammam, a long-time member of Fifa’s executive committee, arranged government-level talks for a Thai Fifa executive to discuss a natural gas sale.

Qatar last week denied allegations by the paper that Bin Hamman made $5 million in payouts to football officials to build support for the bid. – Sapa-AP


sign up
 
 

Comment Guidelines



  1. Please read our comment guidelines.
  2. Login and register, if you haven’ t already.
  3. Write your comment in the block below and click (Post As)
  4. Has a comment offended you? Hover your mouse over the comment and wait until a small triangle appears on the right-hand side. Click triangle () and select "Flag as inappropriate". Our moderators will take action if need be.