CLOSE X
Advertisement

Agliotti, Sars in wrangle over R60.7m

The Star

BRENDAN ROANE, ANGELIQUE SERRAO and SOLLY MAPHUMULO

 

Share this story
Glen Agliotti photographed relaxing at Jb's Corner in Sandton City before the official launch of his book. 130613. Picture: Chris Collingridge 039

Johannesburg - Glenn Agliotti will have until February next year to respond to the taxman, as Sars was granted a provisional sequestration order on his estate in court on Monday.

Agliotti, who is a self-confessed drug dealer and drug trafficker, is believed to owe Sars R60.7 million in income tax.

Now court papers also show that in February 2011 Agliotti received a loan from a business controlled by Radovan Krejcir, the Czech businessman who is facing charges of kidnapping and attempted murder.

This is the same company that loaned the head of the Germiston Organised Crime Unit R408 000 in 2010.

On Tuesday two Hawks members were arrested at the Germiston Organised Crime Unit in connection with the kidnapping and attempted murder charges that Krejcir is facing.

On Wednesday morning, Agliotti confirmed he had been informed of the provisional order granted by the Pretoria High Court against him.

“But I wasn’t in court,” Agliotti said. “I don’t have an opinion; I don’t want to comment,” he added.

A different Sars application in the Pretoria High Court to provisionally sequestrate Krejcir’s assets on November 1 shows Agliotti was one of 23 witnesses that gave evidence in an income tax inquiry into the Czech fugitive’s finances.

“He borrowed R500 000 from Radovan Krejcir to pay for legal fees,” reads the application in the Pretoria High Court.

Agliotti confirmed that he took a loan from a Krejcir-controlled company, Groep Twee Beleggings, whose sole director is Krejcir’s wife, Katerina Krejcirova.

However, Agliotti said the loan was for R400 000 plus interest, the total of which he did not want to estimate. He said he paid off the loan “long ago”.

Sars spokesman Adrian Lackay confirmed they had been granted the provisional order in the Pretoria High Court on Monday.

“He has until 10 February to make representations,” Lackay said.

Lackay said the provisional order means Agliotti’s estate will go under the administration of a curator but no assets can be sold before Agliotti makes his representations.

Agliotti was cleared of all charges relating to the murder of mining magnate Brett Kebble in November 2010, in which he was the main suspect.

Colonel Francois Steyn, the head of the Germiston Organised Crime Unit, admitted to the Mail & Guardian last week that he had received a loan of R408 000 from Groep Twee in 2010, but denied any knowledge that Krejcir controlled the company. He said the loan, which has since been repaid, was start-up capital for a security company that was organised through slain underworld figure Cyril Beeka.

Meanwhile, details have emerged about one of the Hawks officers arrested in connection with Krejcir on Tuesday. The officer, nicknamed “Saddam” due to his bad-boy reputation, is believed to have loved the high life. He is also a serving policeman, who works in Steyn’s office.

 

The Star cannot reveal the Hawks officers’ identities until they appear in court.

 

They were arrested hours apart on Tuesday – a 41-year-old man at 8am and a 46-year-old man at 1pm.

Police spokesman Solomon Makgale confirmed the arrests were connected to the charges of kidnapping and attempted murder Krejcir is facing, and has not ruled out the possibility that further arrests of police officers could be made.

According to several independent sources, Saddam owned a Mercedes-Benz and a Nissan Navara with a personalised number plate. He has also been seen driving a red Ferrari, a Maserati and a Range Rover, and owns a shop in Vosloorus.

A warrant officer in the SAPS earns about R161 115 a year.

 

Krejcir and another man, Desai Lupondo, were arrested on Friday on charges relating to an incident in Elsburg, Ekurhuleni, in June and appeared in the Palm Ridge Magistrate’s Court on Monday. On Monday, they are expected to apply for bail.

A source who is close to the investigation said cellphone data and surveillance linked the two officers to the kidnapping case.

“He’s a real bad dude,” said independent forensic investigator Paul O’Sullivan of Saddam. “He has been on the (police) payroll for the past three to four years, but working for the gangsters.”

The Star

Share this story
Advertisement
X