Kunene’s open letter to MadonselaComment on this story
Patriotic Alliance (PA) general secretary Kenny Kunene has written an open letter attacking Public Protector Thuli Madonsela.
Dear Public Protector Thuli Madonsela
To start with, I want to commend you for the hard work you have done in the fight against state corruption. In many ways, you have shown what is possible when a Public Protector works hard and applies herself as you have done.
But over these last few days, while the circus of Mamphela Ramphele and the DA played out, I asked myself what you were making of it. Did you know something about it the rest of us didn’t?
Unhappy DA members are leaving that party. Many are joining the Patriotic Alliance or have already joined us. Those very same DA people told us months ago that Glynnis Breytenbach was being prepared to join the DA. They told us about the secret DA donor who was forcing DA leader Helen Zille to go into a coalition with Mamphela Ramphele. We struggled to believe it then. Now it’s all an accepted fact.
So when they told me the Public Protector may have sympathies for the DA, I believed them. Ponder the following examples:
* The speed with which you investigate cases reported by the DA is not the same as that reported by anyone else. It is as if you are on the DA’s speed dial.
* You addressed a DA rally in 2012 and were unapologetic about it. You even tried to feign ignorance that you didn’t know it was a DA rally. Surely all those blue T-shirts would have been a giveaway. Don’t think we’re stupid. You’ve never spoken at another party’s rally. The constitution requires that the public protector be independent, impartial and exercise her powers without fear or prejudice. Addressing the DA’s rally showed you are not impartial. You should have resigned if you are as ethical as you try to make out.
* You investigated the DA government’s communications tender in the Western Cape and found them guilty in your provisional report. After input from Premier Helen Zille’s office, your final report absolved the Western Cape of corruption. How convenient for the DA. The Justice Factor on e.tv even called you the Loser of the Week when that happened.
* Why have you not investigated the DA’s clear abuses of power in the Western Cape, such as the illegal evictions of the Marikana shack dwellers at Philippi? The DA is using state resources to protect privately owned land. That is illegal. But we don’t see any reports on that from you.
We all agree there is corruption in the ANC-led government. It is right for you to investigate all of that corruption as per your constitutional mandate. But there have been times when you have been no better than the people you investigate. When your son crashed your state-owned BMW X6 into a wall, the media treated you with kid gloves, even after your daughter tweeted she was happy he did it because your new car was “so much sexier”.
The media is yet to complain about the hefty price tag of your state car, but we see angry headlines weekly about ministers and their cars. It is right to complain about government overspending, but why not when it applies to you?
The DA has many servants within the National Prosecuting Authority. They have also deployed many members within the upper echelons of the media, that much was clear when their party list came out.
Many will question why I have written this. The answer is simple: My party and I are challenging the same DA-led government that you are protecting and defending in the Western Cape. I’m writing this because we will be in a direct election fight with the DA, and I can’t sit idly by and see their election plan come to fruition.
For the first time, the DA has a credible challenger against them in the Western Cape. We beat them on the farms at the end of last month during the Vredendal by-elections. They’ve never been beaten by a small party like that before.
* Kenny Kunene is the general secretary of the Patrotic Alliance. He writes in his personal capacity.
** The views expressed here not necessarily those of Independent Newspapers.