Teachers call off march, class boycottComment on this story
GAUTENG education authorities are monitoring schools in Ekurhuleni, after teachers threatened to disrupt schooling this week. The threats came after the department dismissed SA Democratic Teachers’ Union (Sadtu) regional secretary Paul Mbhele. Mbhele, who was principal of Kuzimisela Primary School in Daveyton, was dismissed after an independent forensic audit found him guilty of financial mismanagement. The misused funds are said to be more than R200 000, according to the provincial Education Department.
Mbele is appealing against the dismissal.
As he awaits the outcome of his appeal, some of his Sadtu colleagues have rallied around him by threatening to boycott classes. Meetings were held last week in which a programme of action that was to culminate in a full-blown class boycott on Monday was decided. The teachers also called for a protest march to demand the dismissal of the provincial Education’s head of department, Boy Ngobeni.
The class boycott and the protest march were averted after an intervention by the provincial Sadtu leadership.
“We agreed that the programme (of action) should be put in abeyance until further discussions,” said Sadtu provincial secretary Tseliso Ledimo yesterday.
The planned boycotts were condemned by the Congress of SA Students (Cosas) in Gauteng. “If any teacher leaves the schools, they mustn’t be allowed to come back,” said Cosas provincial secretary Collen Malatji.