Insure your car, home and valuables with iWYZE
THE taxi turf war in Isipingo has resurfaced with another three taxis burnt last week.
However, South African Taxi Association regional chairman Ruben Majola said it was just a “misunderstanding”.
Majola denied another three taxis were burnt, but said there was a misunderstanding between taxi owners which was resolved in a meeting on Monday.
Three weeks ago police were investigating three separate cases of malicious damage to property.
The first incident occurred at the Alexandra taxi rank where the driver had been waiting to load passengers when two unknown men approached the minibus, poured petrol over it and set it alight, before fleeing on foot.
Two minibuses, which belonged to two different owners, were burnt in Delta Road, Isipingo, and Swift Crescent, Lotus Park, while the owners were asleep.
A taxi owner who declined to be named, for fear of victimisation, said Indian South African taxi operators were being victimised.
He, however, refused to divulge any details about the latest burning of taxis in Isipingo.
“We are not allowed to load passengers. All passengers are being directed to other taxis which do not have the necessary permits to operate. We are living in fear and are constantly threatened.”
Police spokesman, Captain Thulani Zwane, confirmed three cases of malicious damage to property but said no arrests had been made.