Durban Gig Guide - August 15, 2014Comment on this story
• Live – The Venue, 166 Matthews Meyiwa (Stamford Hill) Rd, Morningside, presents Raoul Roux and Black Friday with Bobby and The Dynamites and The East Coast Basement Blues Band. 7.30pm. R50. Call 084 444 8890.
• KZNSA Gallery, 166 Bulwer Rd, Glenwood, presents Latin American and jazz musician, Jim Groissen. 7pm. R60. Book at 031 201 9969.
• 47th Avenue Lounge, 47 Intersite Ave, Springfield, presents DJ Preggie spinning old-school and the band Fearless. 9pm. R80. Call 071 515 4995.
• 10AK, 33rd Floor, John Ross House, above Roma Revolving Restaurant, Margaret Mncadi (Victoria Embankment), presents DJs Sash and Darli. Free before 9pm. Open 5pm to 2am. Call 082 662 5030 or 082 777 8654.
• Zack’s, North Beach, OR Tambo Parade (Lower Marine Parade), present DJ Amigo and guest DJs. 7pm. Free. Call 031 368 6800.
• Zack’s, Lillian Ngoyi Rd, Windermere, present acoustic sets hosted by the Hinds Brothers. 7.30pm. Free. Call 031 312 0755.
• Bhashkar, Mat OD, Syzo B, Ches, Barefoot, Daniel and Graham at Tiger Tiger, 67 Walter Gilbert Rd, King’s Park Complex. Members R40, otherwise R50. Tel: 079 875 3399.
• The Ink and Iron Extravaganza at The Power Centre, 21 Lanner Rd, Pinetown. Music by Mother Nature’s Son and Amethyst. R60. 10am, the music starts at noon. Call 074 185 1980.
• The Origin, 9 Clark Rd, Lower Glenwood, present Techno Invasion with Julian Jeweil (France), Ramik17, Fatcat, Shugga, MD, Lewis, Funky B, Breezy V and others. 8.30pm. R60 to R100. Call Tracy at 031 2019959
• The Jazzy Rainbow, 93 Smiso Nkwanyana (Goble) Rd, presents KZN jazz vocalist Nomalanga Hlubi. 7pm. R60. Call Oliver at 031 303 8398.
• 10AK, 33rd Floor, John Ross House, above Roma Revolving Restaurant, Margaret Mncadi (Victoria Embankment), features resident DJs. Free before 9pm. Call 082 662 5030 or 082 777 8654.
• The Winston Pub, 9 Clark Rd, Umbilo, presents Bloodline, Black Math and more. 8pm. R20 before 8pm, R40 thereafter. Call 031 201 2652.
• Zack’s, North Beach, OR Tambo Parade (Lower Marine Parade), presents Tropical Beats, a reggae and R&B band. 3pm. Free. Call 031 368 6800.
• Church of the Monastery, 20 Monastery Rd (off Abbot Francis Rd), Mariannhill, presents Baroque 2000 with the Gut String Quartet. Programme: quartets by Haydn, (op 20 no 4 in D), Boccherini, and Joseph Martin Krauss. 3pm. R120 at the door. E-mail sursouth@ iafrica.com or call 082 303 5241.
• uShaka Marine World, Wahooz, 1 Bell St, Durban, presents Durban Afro-jazz band, Zisamo. Noon to 4pm. Call 031 328 8000.
• 47th Avenue Lounge, 47 Intersite Ave, Springfield, presents karaoke with resident DJs. 2pm. Free. Call 071 515 4995.
• BAT Centre, Afriportico Jazz Lounge, Margaret Mncadi Ave (Victoria Embankment), presents jazz sundowners with live music. 2pm to 5pm. Free. Call 083 477 3171.
• Yossi’s Café, 127 Helen Joseph (Davenport), Glenwood, presents live jazz. 4pm to 8pm. Free. Call 031 201 0090.
• Club 101, Monty Naicker Rd (Pine St), Durban, presents jazz with Bongani Nkwanyana. R40 plus one free drink. From 2pm. Call 082 488 4009
• Meercats Pub and Grill, 12 Forest Hill Drive, Waterfall, presents Lance Goldman. 12.30pm to 5pm. Sea Level features Goldman at 8pm. Call 031 776 3872 or 079 878 8051.
lZack’s, North Beach, OR Tambo Parade (Lower Marine Parade), presents Sensations FM house music from 2pm. Free. Call 031 368 6800.
• Zack’s, Lillian Ngoyi Rd, Windermere, presents jazz and R&B, hosted by Too Close. 4pm to 8pm. Free. Call 031 312 0755.
• Botanic Gardens hall, 9A John Zikhale (Sydenham) Rd, Durban, presents Celebrate Women, Feel Healthy and Love Life with Adila Vahed (author of Get Out of your Mind and radio presenter), Leigh Collins (sport, health and fitness expert) and more. R150. For tickets, call Fadeela at 031 303 3890 or 082 200 4070.
• UKZN Howard College, The Centre for Jazz and Popular Music, Level 2, Shepstone, Mazisi Kunene (King George Ave), Glenwood, presents the annual African Cultural Calabash lunch-hour concert with Ikusasa lethu and The Sacred featuring Nontobeko Sibiya. 12.15pm to 1.05pm. Call Thuli at 031 260 3385
• Open mic at Harlequin’s Sports Club, Garcin Place, The Bluff. 7.30pm. Free. Call 084 446 3581.
• Zack’s, Wilson’s Wharf, hosts The Blues Train with Salty Dog and Bobby and the Dynamites. 7.30pm. Free. Call 031 305 1671.
• UKZN Howard College, The Centre for Jazz and Popular Music, Level 2, Shepstone, Mazisi Kunene (King George Ave), Glenwood, presents Latin Influence with Demi Fernandez and Neil Gonsalves. 6pm. R40, R20 for pensioners, R15 for students. Call Thuli at 031 260 3385.
• Karaoke at Harlequin’s Sports Club, Garcin Place, The Bluff. 7pm. Free. Call 084 446 3581.
• It’s Taboo, 226 Matthews Meyiwa Rd, Morningside, presents live gigs. 7pm and the band plays from 8pm to 10pm. R50. E-mail shem_ email@example.com.
• Open mic at Harlequin’s Sports Club, Garcin Place, The Bluff. 7.30pm. Free, but R5 for car parking for non-members. Call 084 446 3581.
• 47th Avenue Lounge, 47 Intersite Ave, Springfield, presents Jazz On 47th with live jazz bands. 9pm. Free. Call 071 515 4995.
• To be featured in the Gig Guide, e-mail all gig-related details to firstname.lastname@example.org; subject: gig guide, by 9am on Wednesday.
GIG OF THE WEEK
REMEMBER MARIKANA SOLIDARITY BENEFIT CONCERT
Live – The Venue (Tomorrow)
IN MEMORY of the fallen miners at Marikana, Live – The Venue, is hosting a benefit concert tomorrow on behalf of the Miners Shot Down Campaign for Justice.
The concert, arranged In association with Durban Is Yours, Street Scene, Off Tha Record, The Body Rock Crew and #WhatIfThisCity, offers an evening of live music and performance honouring those shot dead at Marikana two years ago.
The programme will include performances by Tim Wells (pictured), Hezron Chetty, Nje, Luminati, The Nutscratchers and guests as well as a film screening of Miners Shot Down, directed by Rehad Desai.
Wells, of The Tim Wells Blue Band, has performed at The Durban International Blues Festival, the Fifa Fan Park in Durban, the World Musical Festival and the Spogweni festival.
All concert proceeds go to the campaign, with 50 percent going directly to the widows and families of the miners who died. All artists, the venue, the logistics team and organisers are providing their services free, in the spirit of unity and humanity that is driving this initiative. – Tonight Reporter
• The Remember Marikana Solidarity Benefit Concert tomorrow at Live – The Venue, 166 Matthews Meyiwa (Stamford Hill) Rd, Morningside. 7pm. R50.
Call 084 510 3107.