Durban Gig Guide - August 22, 2014Comment on this story
• Willy Mason at Live – The Venue, 166 Matthews Meyiwa (Stamford Hill) Rd. Support act, The Hinds Brothers. R100. Doors open at 8pm. Call 084 510 3107.
• Musical Jamboree fundraiser for Sing Inchanga hosted by David Tims at Jazzy Rainbow, 93 Smiso Nkwanyana (Goble) Road, Morningside, from 8pm. R50 entry. Tel: David 082 709 0028.
• 47th Avenue Lounge, 47 Intersite Avenue, Springfield, presents Old School Fridays with DJ Preggie and live band Fearless. 9pm. R80. Call 071 515 4995.
• 10AK, 33rd Floor, John Ross House above Roma Revolving Restaurant, Margaret Mncadi (Victoria Embankment), presents Haute Fridays with residents Sash and Darli. Free before 9pm. Open from 5pm to 2am. Call 082 662 5030 or 082 777 8654.
• Zacks North Beach, OR Tambo (Lower Marine) Parade presents DJ Amigo and guest DJs. 7pm. Free Call 031 368 6800.
• Zacks Windermere, Lillian Ngoyi (Windermere) Road, presents acoustic sets hosted by the Hinds Brothers. 7.30pm. Free. Call 031 312 0755.
• Krakatoa Show Bar, Sibaya Casino, Sibaya Drive, uMhlanga Rocks, hosts Bhangra music with DJ Elvis and the Durban Desi Crew, featuring DJs Sandesh, Reckless and Anesh. Women over 21 and men over 23. 10pm. R60.
Call 031 580 5170.
• Karaoke at the Horse n Hound, Kenneth Kaunda (Northway) Rd, Durban North with DJ Tony. 8pm. Free. Call 031 564 5827.
• Singer/song-writer Willy Mason at Live – The Venue, 166 Matthews Meyiwa (Stamford Hill) Road. Support act The Hinds Brothers. R100. Doors open at 8pm. Call 084 510 3107.
• Conquering through Prayer Church, Mayville, presents Limitless Concert with former Idols SA contestants Lendel Moonsamy and Crystalene Nair. 5.30 pm. R50. Call Kelvin on 083 796 5577.
• 10AK, 33rd Floor John Ross House above Roma Revolving Restaurant, Margaret Mncadi Ave (Victoria Embankment) features resident DJs. Free before 9pm. Call 082 662 5030 or 082 777 8654.
• The Winston Pub, 9 Clark Rd, Umbilo presents Bloodline, Black Math and more. 8pm. R20 before 8pm and R40 after. Call 031 201 2652.
• Zacks North Beach, OR Tambo (Lower Marine) Parade, presents Tropical Beats Reggae & R&B band. 3pm. Free. Call 031 368 6800.
• Salty Dog at Beach Bums Bar, Casuarina Beach, Westbrook, from 12.30pm. Free entry. Call 032 943 1132.
• Karaoke with Gordon and Paul at Harlequins Sports Club, Garcin Place, The Bluff, from 8pm.
Free entry, but R5 parking fee for non-members. Call 084 446 3581.
l uShaka Marine World, Wahooz, 1 Bell St, presents Durban Afro jazz band Zisamo. Noon to 4pm. Call 031 328 8000.
• 47th Avenue Lounge, 47 Intersite Avenue, Springfield, presents karaoke with resident DJs. 2pm. Free. Call 071 515 4995.
• BAT Centre, Afriportico Jazz Lounge, Margaret Mncadi Ave (Victoria Embankment), presents jazz sundowners 2-5pm. Free. Call 083 477 3171.
• Yossi’s Café, 127 Helen Joseph (Davenport) Road, presents live jazz, 4pm-8pm. Free. Call 031 201 0090.
• Rockin’ Back, one-man band with Jeff. Classic rock music at Gordons uMhlanga 4pm-8pm. Call 083 660 8012.
• Club 101, Monty Naicker Rd (Pine Street) presents jazz with Bongani Nkwanyana. R40 plus one free drink. From 2pm. Call 082 488 4009.
• Zacks North Beach, OR Tambo (Lower Marine) Parade presents Sensations FM House Music from 2pm. Free. Call 031 368 6800.
• Zacks, Windermere, Lillian Ngoyi (Windermere) Rd, presents Jazz and R&B, hosted by Too Close. 4pm-8pm. Free. Call 031 312 0755.
• The Meditators reggae band perform at Moyo’s uShaka from 1pm-6pm every Sunday. Free entry and all welcome. Dress code “rainbow”. Call 082 758 1411.
• Open Mic Night at Harlequins Sports Club, Garcin Place, The Bluff, from 7.30pm. Free. Call 084 446 3581.
• Zack’s Wilson’s Wharf, The Blues Train presents Salty Dog with Bobby and the Dynamites. 7.30pm. Free. Call 031 305 1671.
• Karaoke with Gordon and Paul at Harlequins Sports Club, Garcin Place, The Bluff, from 8pm.Free entry, but there’s a R5 parking fee for non-members. For more information call 084 446 3581.
• It’s Taboo, 226 Matthews Meyiwa Rd, presents jazz/funk/pop gigs. 7pm and band plays from 8pm-10pm. R50. E-mail [email protected]
• Cafe Goa, 6B Purity Lane, Malvern, presents Justin Snyman. From 7pm. Call 031 464 7292 or 083 301 3396.
l Horse n Hound, Kenneth Kaunda (Northway) Rd, Durban North, hosts Rockin’ Back one-man band with Jeff. Classic rock music. 6-10pm. Call 083 660 8012.
• Zacks, Winderemere, Lillian Ngoyi (Windermere) Rd, presents acoustic sets. Free. 7.30pm. Call 031 312 0755.
• Salty Rits hosts Open Mic at Harlequins Sports Club, Garcin Place, The Bluff, from 8pm. Free entry, but R5 parking fee for non-members. Call 084 446 3581.
• Durban City Hall, Pixley Ka Seme (West) St, presents KZN Philharmonic Orchestra spring season with Shlomo Mintz (violinist). 7.30pm. R50-R200 on Computicket. Call Portia on 031 369 9438.
• 47th Avenue Lounge, 47 Intersite Avenue, Springfield, presents Jazz On 47th with live jazz bands. 9pm. Free. Call 071 515 4995.
• E-mail gig details to valencia.govindasamy @inl.co.za, subject ‘gigs’, by Wednesday 9am.
GIG OF THE WEEK
Heels over Head
SUSAN BARRY AND HEELS OVER HEAD
The Playhouse (tonight)
WHAT better way to begin your weekend than by chilling to the smooth sounds of Susan Barry and all-women quartet Heels over Head? If this sounds appealing to you, then head over to The Playhouse Theatre after work tonight for some great entertainment.
Heels over Head keep busy on the popular and private circuit with their particular brand of smooth jazz, which cunningly combines contemporary African musical phrases, evocative popular African standards, dance-inducing rhythms and happy melodic vocals.
They present well, combining glamour and warmth. Their latest offering, Sondela, has got just enough of the African jazz feel to keep it in the ring, with well-trained voices and strong rhythms.
The line-up of the evening: Thulile Zama (vocals), Nomkhosi Mazibuko (vocals), Rebekah Pillay (drums), Barry (keys) and Arianna Carini (keys).
Barry is a full-time lecturer in jazz studies at UKZN. She is also a veteran keyboardist and composer and has worked with some of South Africa’s great musicians, most notably the iconic Busi Mhlongo, who received a 2008 eThekwini Living Legend award.
A website says Barry has been involved in numerous projects and collaborations with artists from neighbouring countries, including the Durban Maputo Connection and “Its Cooking in the Melting Pot”. She has a passion for promoting young talent and has mentored a number of award-winning singers and pianists. – Tonight Reporter
• Catch Susan Barry and Heels at the Playhouse tonight. 5pm- 7pm. Free. For information, call 031 369 9596