Durban Gig Guide - July 25, 2014Comment on this story
• Open Strings, 16 Jameson Terrace, Kloof, presents Jack Mantis and Shomon. R100 plus R60 for dinner. 7.30pm. Call Rod at 082 653 3948.
• Salty Rits at The Sainted 3, Warner Beach. 9pm. Free. Call 084 44 63581.
• Live – The Venue, 166 Matthews Meyiwa (Stamford Hill) Rd, Morningside, presents Capetonian Al Bairre’s Barrels to Brandy Tour. Support acts are Adventure Man (Joburg) and Hours. 8pm. R70. Call 084 510 3107.
• Durban ICC, 45 Bram Fischer Rd, Durban, hosts MTN Joyous Celebration today and tomorrow. R180 to R320 at Computicket.
• Bryce Hatfield, Mowfunk, Matt Bryson, Shugga, Matt Olsen and many more at Tokio, Harvey Rd, Durban. R60 students or R80. Call 036 145 6231.
• 47th Avenue Lounge, 47 Intersite Ave, Springfield, presents Old School Fridays with DJ Preggie and the band Fearless. 9pm. R80. Call 071 515 4995.
• 10AK, 33rd Floor, John Ross House, above Roma Revolving Restaurant, Margaret Mncadi Ave (Victoria Embankment), presents DJs Sash and Darli. Free before 9pm. Open 5pm to 2am. Call 082 662 5030 or 082 777 8654.
• Zack’s, North Beach, OR Tambo (Lower Marine) Parade, presents DJ Amigo and guest DJs. 7pm. Free. Call 031 368 6800.
• Zack’s, Lilian Ngoyi (Windermere ) Rd, Morningside, presents acoustic sets. 7.30pm. Free entry. Call 031 312 0755.
• Sky Venue, 31st floor, Southern Sun Maharani Tower, Snell Parade, presents the Ultimate ‘80s Party with hits by Duran Duran, The Police and Dire Straits. 7pm. R380 includes dinner and welcome drink. Call 031 208 7275.
• The Jazzy Rainbow, 93 Smiso Nkwanyana (Goble) Rd, Morningside, presents Zoe the Seed. 7pm. R60. Call Oliver at 031 303 8398
• Book Boutique, 26 Rockview Rd, Amanzimtoti, presents Music in the Garden with Shane and JC from Catlike Thieves. 11.30am to 1.30pm. Free. Call 031 903 6692.
• DJs Ryan, Ameeth, Ludo and Sly at Hip Hop Palace, 166 Bluff Rd, Durban. R50. Call 083 775 7744.
• Veranda Panda, Kallisto, Night Vision, Dash, Mowfunk, Shugga, Jamie K, Funky B and more at Origin, 9 Clark Rd, Lower Glenwood. R60 before 10pm, R80 thereafter, members R50 or R60. Call 031 201 9959.
• Stevie G, Matt Bryson, Bryce Hatfield, Coco Loco and more at Absolute, 258 Florida Road, Morningside. R50. Call 082 893 7608.
• 10AK, 33rd Floor, John Ross House, above Roma Revolving Restaurant, Margaret Mncadi (Victoria Embankment), features resident DJs. Free before 9pm. Call 082 662 5030 or 082 777 8654.
• The Winston Pub, 9 Clark Rd, Umbilo, presents Bloodline, Black Math and more. 8pm. R20 before 8pm and R40 thereafter. Call 031 2012652
• Rockin’ Back: one-man band Jeff with classic rock at The Galley, Ballito, 17 Compensation Beach Rd. On the deck from noon. Call 032 946 2546.
• Rainbow Restaurant, Stanfield Lane, Pinetown presents jazz trio, Omza. 1pm. R60 at www.webtickets.co.za. Call 031 702 9161.
• Salty Dog at Beach Bums Bar, Casuarina Beach, Westbrook. From 12.30pm. Free. Call 032 943 1132.
• uShaka Marine World, Wahooz, 1 Bell St, Durban, presents Afro-jazz band, Zisamo. Noon to 4pm. Call 031 328 8000.
• 47th Avenue Lounge, 47 Intersite Ave, Springfield, presents karaoke with resident DJs. 2pm. Free. Call 071 515 4995.
• BAT Centre, Afriportico Jazz Lounge, Margaret Mncadi Ave (Victoria Embankment), present presents jazz sundowners. 2pm to 5pm. Free. Call 083 477 3171.
• Yossi’s Café, 127 Helen Joseph (Davenport) Rd, present live jazz. 4pm to 8pm. Free. Call 031 201 0090.
• Rockin’ Back: one-man band with Jeff. Classic rock music at Gordon’s, uMhlanga. 4pm to 8pm. Call 083 660 8012.
• Club 101, Monty Naicker Rd (Pine St), Durban, present jazz with Bongani Nkwanyana. R40 plus one free drink. From 2pm. Call 082 488 4009.
• Zack’s, North Beach, OR Tambo (Lower Marine) Parade, present Sensations FM house music from 2pm. Free. Call 031 368 6800.
• Zack’s, Lillian Ngoyi (Windermere) Rd, Morningside, present jazz and R&B, hosted by Too Close. 4pm to 8pm. Free. Call 031 312 0755.
• Open mic at Harlequin’s Sports Club, Garcin Place, The Bluff. From 7.30pm. Free. Call 084 446 3581.
• UKZN Howard College, The Centre for Jazz and Popular Music, Level 2, Shepstone Bldng, Mazisi Kunene (King George Ave), present H3 Ensemble – three young horn players – Linda Sikhakhane, Sthembiso Bhengu and Senzo Mzimela, joined by Lungelo Ngcobo (piano), Ildo Nandja (contra bass) and Sbu Zondi (drums). 6pm. R40, pensioners R20, students R15. Call Thuli at 031 260 3385
• Justin Snyman at Cafe Goa, 6 B Purity Lane, Malvern. 7pm. Call 031 464 7292.
• Open Mic at Harlequin’s Sports Club, Garcin Place, The Bluff. 7.30pm. Free, but R5 a car parking fee for non-members. Call 084 446 3581.
• 47th Avenue Lounge, 47 Intersite Ave, Springfield, presents Jazz On 47th with live jazz bands. 9pm. Free. Call 071 515 4995
• To be listed in Gig Guide, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, subject: gig guide, by Wednesday.
GIG OF THE WEEK
MANELIS – OFF THA RECORD
Cool Runnings (Tonight)
RAPPER Manelis (pictured) will be in the house at Cool Runnings tonight, playing with a band comprised of Njabulo Shabalala on percussion, Sanele Phakathi on keys, Dalisu Ndlazi on bass and DJ Rawkidd on the ones and twos.
A press release states that this MC delivers thought-provoking raps with a subtle, but enchanting honesty. His knowledge of the streets and command of the Zulu language makes it easy for him to deliver spell-binding narratives, convincing the listener of his skill and genius.
Ladies and gentlemen, presenting the one and only author of S’Tshengise, a co-founding member of Luminati and a pen-wielding urban scribe… Manelis. The artist draws his inspiration from old African flavours, particularly South African artists such as Harare, Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Letta Mbulu to weave an unmatched genuine sound.
His streetwise lyricism has an authentic Zulu feel with a colloquial touch that speaks of the African urban experience on soulful and sometimes
alternatively experimental instrumental backdrops.
The development of Manelis’s sound has spanned a 10-year period through various recordings, performances and groups, more recently Luminati, a live band he co-founded in 2010 and which is referred to as an explosive mix of genres such as jazz, rock and hip hop. – Tonight Reporter
• Catch Manelis at Cool Runnings, Milne Street, tonight. Doors open at 9pm. Entry is R50 at the door. Call 031 368 5604.