Durban Gig Guide - June 20, 2014Comment on this story
• Eshowe High School presents Durban contemporary jazz band Heels over Head as part of the Concerts SA programme. The concert will be open to the public and feature musician Dave Stark and The Starlight Band. 7pm. R25. Call 031 711 1524.
• 47th Avenue Lounge, 47 Intersite Ave, Springfield, presents DJ Preggie and Fearless. 9pm. R80. Call 071 515 4995.
• 10AK, 33rd Floor, John Ross House, above Roma Revolving Restaurant, Margaret Mncadi Ave (Victoria Embankment), presents DJs Sash and Darli. Free before 9pm. Open 5pm to 2am. Call 082 662 5030 or 082 777 8654.
• Zack’s, North Beach, OR Tambo (Lower Marine) Parade, presents DJ Amigo and guest DJs. 7pm. Free. Call 031 368 6800.
• Zack’s, Lilian Ngoyi (Windermere) Rd, Morningside, presents acoustic sets hosted by the Hinds brothers. 7.30pm. Free. Call 031 312 0755.
• Karaoke at the Horse ‘n’ Hound, Kenneth Kaunda (Northway) Rd, Durban North, with DJ Tony. 8pm. Free. Call 031 564 5827.
• Firkin Brewery, Pavilion, Westville, presents live music with a six-piece band. 9.30pm. Free before 8pm, R40 thereafter. Call 031 265 0154.
• Krakatoa Show Bar, Sibaya Casino, Sibaya Drive, uMhlanga Rocks, presents club night with DJ Elvis and DJs Sandesh. 10pm. R60. Call 031580 5170.
• 10AK, 33rd Floor, John Ross House, above Roma Revolving Restaurant, Margaret Mncadi (Victoria Embankment), features resident DJs. Free before 9pm. Call 082 662 5030 or 082 777 8654.
• Rockin’ Back: one-man band Jeff with classic rock at The Galley, Ballito, 17 Compensation Beach Rd. On the deck from noon. Call 032 946 2546.
• Zack’s, North Beach, OR Tambo (Lower Marine) Parade, presents Tropical Beats, a reggae and R&B band. 3pm. Free. Call 031 368 6800.
• Live – The Venue, 166 Matthews Meyiwa (Stamford Hill) Rd, Morningside, hosts The Accidentals, Manuvah To Land, Fools of Fate, Brandon Lee Hunt, Catlike Thieves and Hey! Hustler in aid of House of Love and Hope, a home for abandoned babies. R50, all proceeds to the charity. Call 082 967 2179.
• Salty Dog at Beach Bums Bar, Casuarina Beach, Westbrook, from 12.30pm. Free. Call 032 943 1132.
• The Chantecler Hotel, 27 Clement Stot Rd, Botha’s Hill, Hillcrest, presents Mike Goosen and Sandy Lawrence. Noon. R85. Call 031 765 2613.
• 7th Avenue Lounge, 47 Intersite Ave, Springfield, presents karaoke with resident DJs. 2pm. Free. Call 071 515 4995.
• BAT Centre, Afriportico Jazz Lounge, Margaret Mncadi Ave (Victoria Embankment), presents jazz sundowners. 2pm to 5pm. Free. Call 083 477 3171.
• Yossi’s Café, 127 Helen Joseph (Davenport) Rd, Glenwood, presents live jazz. 4pm to 8pm. Free. Call 031 201 0090.
• Rockin’ Back: one-man band Jeff with classic rock music at Gordon’s, uMhlanga, from 4pm to 8pm. Call 083 660 8012.
• Club 101, Monty Naicker Rd (Pine St), presents jazz with Bongani Nkwanyana. R40 plus one free drink. From 2pm. Call 082 488 4009.
• Meercats Pub and Grill, 12 Forest Hill Drive, Waterfall, presents Lance Goldman. 12.30pm to 5pm. And Sea Level with Goldman at 8pm. Free Call 031 776 3872 or 079 878 8051.
• Zack’s, North Beach, ORTambo Parade (Lower Marine Parade), presents Sensations FM house music from 2pm. Free. Call 031 368 6800.
• Zack’s, Lillian Ngoyi (Windermere) Rd, Morningside, presents jazz and R&B, hosted by Too Close. 4pm to 8pm. Free. Call 031 312 0755.
• Horse ‘n’ Hound, Kenneth Kaunda Rd, (Northway), Durban North, hosts Robbie Dalton. 7pm. Free. Call 031 564 5827.
• Open mic night at Harlequin’s Sports Club, Garcin Place, The Bluff, from 7.30pm. Free. Call 084 446 3581.
• Durban Jewish Centre, 44 KE Masinga (Old Fort) Rd, Durban, presents Friends of Music with the KwaZulu-Natal Philharmonic Orchestra String Quartet and others. Programme features music composed by Mozart, Beethoven, Mendelssohn. 7.45pm. Members R60, non-members R70; orchestra, students R20. E-mail friendsofmusic@ webmail.co.za.
• It’s Taboo, 226 Matthews Meyiwa Rd, Morningside: live music, 7pm. R50. E-mail email@example.com.
• Horse ‘n’ Hound, Kenneth Kaunda (Northway) Rd, Durban North, hosts Rockin’ Back: one-man band Jeff with classic rock music. 6pm to 10pm.
Call 083 660 8012.
• Zack’s, Lillian Ngoyi (Windermere) Rd, Morningside, presents acoustic sets. Free. 7.30pm. Call 031 312 0755.
• 47th Avenue Lounge, 47 Intersite Ave, Springfield, presents Jazz On 47th with live jazz bands. 9pm. Free. Call 071 515 4995.
• Salty Dog hosts open mic night at Harlequin’s Sports Club, Garcin Place, The Bluff, from 7.30pm.Free. Call 084 446 3581.
• Horse ‘n’ Hound, Kenneth Kaunda (Northway) Rd, Durban North, hosts one-man band Robbie Dalton. 7pm.
Free. Call 031 564 5827.
• E-mail all gig-related details to firstname.lastname@example.org; subject: gig guide, by 9am on Wednesday.
GIG OF THE WEEK
Barnyard Theatre (Monday)
THERE’S no denying that Durban loves Just Jinjer, so fans of the acclaimed South African band will be glad to know that the group is preparing to rock The Barnyard Theatre with one show only on Monday.
The past six months have been exceedingly busy for the members of the band, with bassist Denholm Harding producing the new Prime Circle album; Ard Matthews focusing on his new coffee shop and online radio station (as well as writing new material for his solo ventures and Just Jinjer’s upcoming album); and Brent Harris having an exceptional run with his solo and cover bands.
The guys are now half way through recording their anticipated new album and are keen to give audiences a taste of what to expect when it hits the stores.
They have also had a shuffle of members and roles, with Denholm moving to electric guitar, and Vernon “Hodge” Hodgetts
joining the band on bass guitar, a combo that has to be heard to be appreciated, restoring them to their pre-US quartet format.
At their show on Monday the audience can expect to hear previews of their new material along with a mix of their old favourites such as Shallow Waters, Father and Farther, Like You Madly, their cover version of Sugarman, Paradise In Summertime, Here’s to You, For All We Know, Time of Your Life and What He Means to Me. – Tonight Reporter
• Show starts at 8pm. Tickets are R130. For info, call the theatre at 031 566 3045.